• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Pin Stripe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Pin Stripe.

Okay guys,

I searched and no luck.. How do you guys remove those annoying pin stripe on the side?

I just removed some of the stick on kind by using a hair dryer and peeling them off...cleaned the sticky stuff left over with some bug and tar remover.
    Not sure what do if the pinstripes are painted on?

Comment

Hey,

You should visit an Autobody Supply store and look into special rubber wheels designed for decal pinstripe removal. Do not use just any rubber wheel in a drill as it may burn the paint. Get a wheel designed for pinstripes.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Yeah, I saw few of them rubber wheel online. I'm going witht hair drier drier 1st, if that dont work. I'm going have to order online.

Comment

Any suggestions for painted on pinstripes? My car has some spots where it looks like the previous owner had some work done and they were buffed off. I want to get rid of what is left and am looking for suggestions on what to do.
          "A clean car makes for a happy driver!"

Comment

This sounds really risky - - but I have done it a few times without a problem......Use a single edge razer blade on a very steep angle and zip 'em off. If you get too upright with the blade you'll get into the clearcoat.

Risky but quick.

Mike
            2004 MazdaSpeed Miata
            2003 Honda Accord
            2002 Dodge Durango
            2003 Monterey LS190 Boat with 5.0L
            1999 Kabota Tractor w/ Loader

Comment

Originally posted by Ezmoney95
              Any suggestions for painted on pinstripes? My car has some spots where it looks like the previous owner had some work done and they were buffed off. I want to get rid of what is left and am looking for suggestions on what to do.
              If the painted pinstripes were under the clearcoat you'd be pretty much out of luck. Since yours are partially buffed off that's a good sign that they're on top.

Be careful though; make sure all of them are on top. I've heard of cases where there had been bodywork done so that some of the pinstripes were on top and others were underneath. If you start removing the ones on top only to find out later that the rest are underneath you're really in trouble.

How easily they come off depends a lot on what paint the striper used. If he used a lacquer or air dry enamel they may wipe off using a pre-paint cleaner like Prep-Sol. If he used catalyzed enamel they'll probably have to be buffed off or even wetsanded.

PC.

Comment

Wurth Eraser Wheel (pin stripe removal) PN 0585 91

wurthusa.com/project/en/leftnavi/catalog/product.php?path=06.0150.jpg [edited for commercial link;2hotford]
                ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by TOGWT
                  Wurth Eraser Wheel (pin stripe removal) PN 0585 91

wurthusa.com/project/en/leftnavi/catalog/product.php?path=06.0150.jpg [edited for commercial link;2hotford]
                  good one, Im check into it.

thanks again.

Comment

most painted on pinstripes are sign painters enamel. One shot sign painters paint is a more popular brand. you can put some mineral spirits sparingly on a towel and rub lightly. you will start to see the stripe come off. very little mineral spirits and light rubbing. otherwise you will mar the paint.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');