• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you seen the Turtle Wax commercial knocking Meguiars?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you seen the Turtle Wax commercial knocking Meguiars?!?!

Just saw this on CMT. They said Turtle Wax Platinum was shiner than even Meguiars. Which one?? I am from Missouri so I say "Show Me" Turle Wax!
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

The way I see it is that they compare it to Meg's implying that Meg's is the best there is......which is true

Alex
    Mandarina Racing

Comment

Dont knock the Plat. wax, its pretty good stuff for OTC.

I wont buy any TW products though, not until they pull the cans of polish and compounds they sell in every auto parts stores...

The damage that must be done through out the world with those products is probably staggering...

Comment

Those inferior products keep professionals in business. Thank you Turtle Wax for having rubbing compound that dulls paint and wax that turns everything white.

Comment

Those inferior products keep professionals in business. Thank you Turtle Wax for having rubbing compound that dulls paint and wax that turns everything white.

Finding the positive in everything is the sign of wisdom

Comment

Showtime,

from your post we can all see that you haven't tried the TWPUG.

Otherwise you would know that this is a truly outstanding product. I use it a lot, and for me it was THE surprise of the year. Based on initial look, it beats all of my LSPs (1Z GW, Victoria Waxes, Sonax Xtreme, etc.), except FK1 Pink Wax.

I want to compare it with NXT, but I have to wait two or three days until the NXT is here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bence
              Based on initial look, it beats all of my LSPs (1Z GW, Victoria Waxes, Sonax Xtreme, etc.), except FK1 Pink Wax.

I want to compare it with NXT, but I have to wait two or three days until the NXT is here.
              What are you doing your comparison testing on?
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

My car is an interesting test bed. It is a dark green metallic Camry. Its panels are completely different prep & protection-wise. The driver side has 1Z GW with Sprüh Wax, Sonax Xtreme1 paste/liquid, Victoria Wax Collectors/Concours and TWPUG panel by panel. All of these panels are prepped with 1Z Pasta Intensiv & High Gloss Polish (PC; orange/white/black pads). The horizontal panels are different as well. The roof is untouched, absolutely bare, unpolished. The trunklid is divided by half. The prep is the same, but with Car-Lack68 Nanotech & AutoGlym EGP, while the other half is bare. The right side has a similar German acrylic as AIO, and nothing else. The hood wears Sprüh Wax/nothing with NO prep.

Now I must say that the TWPUG looks absolutely the best; significantly darker, deeper and wetter. The difference is huge; I have a friend who has only 50 and 15% vision and even he picks the TWPUG panel easily as the deepest, wettest.
                I applied the LSPs three weeks ago. Since then we had 11 days of rain; and no QD, no nothing... The drying characteristics are interesting: the TWPUG dried absolutely spot free the first 2 or 3 times. The others have average to heavy spotting - except the bare panels. These are the fastest and most spotless drying panels by far. When they are completely dry, the others can stay wet for HOURS (depending on beading characteristics)!
                On initial look, there is a difference between the carnaubas, with VWCON on second, and GW/SW on third. However, after three weeks, there is virtually no visual difference between the above mentioned three panels, while the TWPUG is still the deepest, wettest; still noticeably, significantly. I don't know the slickness because I won't touch an unwashed, unQDed (what a word!) panel.
                When I get my NXT paste on Monday, I will prep the whole right side, and I will use a new product sequence - applying NXT, FK1 Pink Wax, TWPUG and maybe a standalone sealant (FK1 2180).

Comment

While you're test is an interesting one, the best way to test one wax against another wax is next to one another on a flat panel. Placing one wax on the side of a car and trying to compare it to another wax on the opposite side, or on a horizontal panel brings to many variables into the equation. For example, if you're inspecting the way different waxes look on an entire car, if you pull the car out into the sun, or under bright light in a garage, the horizontal surfaces will receive light in a different way than the vertical surfaces, this introduces variable that will effect how paint will look no matter what kind of wax is on it.

The best test for visual differences is black paint on a horizontal surface that you can stand over and look down onto.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

As Mike suggested, test the LSPs next to each other on the hood of the car. Use painter's tape to create straight lines between the different sections as is shown in this photo:

This way you should be able to see the difference side by side. This will also allow you to take a sun shot of both waxes at the same time for easy comparison.

Chris
                    Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Have you seen

No I have not tried it. I would like to know how they prepared the car. I did not think I was knocking it. I am becoming a Megs fan.
                      MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Lets everyone keep this thread on-topic. That is, the question/topic is about the Turtle Wax commercial.

If you want to start a thread about comparison testing, please start your own thread or I will close this one. I know it's really easy to take a thread off-topic, so think before your post and if your post is off-topic please start your own dedicated thread.

Thank you!
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I haven't seen the TW commercial yet.

Does it air much?

Edit: They used to make a product called TR3 Resin Glaze that I liked before switching to Meguiars.
                          Last edited by rusty bumper; Jul 30, 2005, 09:39 AM.
                          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                            The best test for visual differences is black paint on a horizontal surface that you can stand over and look down onto.
                            I have a SS Toyota and a pearl black Honda hood also, on tripods, divided by four with blue painters' tape...

The appearance of the TWPUG can be sensitive. I tried various combos on the SS black Toyota hood, topping different products with TWPUG. The TWPUG looks excellent on EGP, AIO, GW, and on VWCON. However, it looks mediocre over the Sonax twins. The Sonaxes have a yellowish aura, and they numb down the TWPUG. On the test panels, I tried to layer it. The 2nd and 3rd applications were noticeable, but after then the depth has set, and there was no visible gain or difference any more with the subsequent layers. I applied it sooo lightly; just barely touching the panel (to avoid mechanical cleaning & abrasion as much as possible). I dont know anything about the cleaners in it, and to be honest I've never examined it from that point of view. The product is on the slicker side and it can keep its slickness when it stays dry. After a couple of rainy days, it starts to lose a bit, but the water spots are basically floating on its surface. Very easy to clean. I thought it would die a lot sooner. Overall, I love this product. Oh yes, and I'm talking about the liquid, not the paste, because the paste is not available in Europe.

PS: There are NO Turtle Wax commercials in my country...

Comment

I saw the commercial,the guy says "I've tried everything, Mothers,Meguiars
                              and still can't get the shine that he wants.
                              until he tried Turtle Wax Platinum series wax,now his car (yellow)
                              shines more than ever.

so I myself had to go out and purchase some just to try,
                              I got the paste version and it does shine good.

I still will continue to use Megs. products,on my own vehicles and
                              my customers vehicles,but every now and then I like to
                              experiment with new product lines. ( I think we all do lol.)
                              "always somethin"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');