• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

between Car washes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• between Car washes

I have a black truck and it seems as soon as I wash it is dirty again. I get water spots from the irrigation system where I live and then the spots collect dirt. Is their anything that will not scratch my paint that I can use in between car washes.

Hi chooge,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Try one of these,

NEW NXT Generation Speed Detailer
    Quik Detailer

With some of these,

Supreme Shine Microfiber

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I can just spray this on and wipe off. This will not scratch my paint from the dirt that is collected in the water spots?

Comment

Originally posted by chooge
        I can just spray this on and wipe off. This will not scratch my paint from the dirt that is collected in the water spots?
        Quick detailers are for light dust in-between regular washings. If you have accumulated dirt, that has gotten wet, then this is no longer light dust but a dirt film and no you shouldn't use a quick detailer but instead wash the vehicle using car wash soap and rinse with water from a hose.

Sorry if I got you all excited thinking you could safely remove dirt with a mist & wipe product.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hey,

Just IMHO...if it dust mixed with water (from the irrigation) I would wash the truck. Black is a difficult color to maintain. Therefore, extra caution when touching the paint is needed!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Re: between Car washes

Originally posted by chooge
            I have a black truck and it seems as soon as I wash it is dirty again. I get water spots from the irrigation system where I live and then the spots collect dirt. Is their anything that will not scratch my paint that I can use in between car washes.
            The water from the irrigation system would worry me more than anything! There may even be fertilizer and othe chemicals used with the system. This will cause major damage to your paint. Even if no chemicals are added, the water spots will etch into your paint unless they are removed immediately.

You need to do whatever you can to keep your truck away from the irrigation system spray pattern!

Irrigation systems are usually run every day, usually at night or early in the morning.

Water spot etching can be extremely difficult to remove! In the most severe cases it will require a more aggressive cleaner and a rotary buffer!

Isn't there anywhere you can park so you can avoid the irrigation system?

I generally agree with Mike's and Tim's recommendation about dust that has water fallen on top of it. But I have had some emergency situations (bird dumpings) where I had to use a QD to avoid acid etching of the paint. We have had a lot of rain and I have been unable to wash my car for over two weeks! Well, all of a sudden the birds started dumping on my car. The residue needs to be remove immediately to avoid acid etching. There is no time for a car wash. So I used some NXT Speed Detailer with an Ultimate Wipe to remove the droppings. There was absolutely no scratching whatsoever, and the Ultimate Wipe was black there was so much dirt on the car. I cannot say enough about how great the Speed Detailer is! It surpasses all others! I took the chance at making swirls because that was the lesser of two evils compared to acid etch marks! But the Speed Detailer came through. Plus the outdoor temperature was 95 degrees and the hood was very hot. In spite of that using the Speed Detailer did not smear or streak at all.

RamAirV1
            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I've been hearing some good things about Speed Detailer..........How does it compare to Final Detail?
              r. b.

Comment

Re: Re: between Car washes

Originally posted by RamAirV1
                The water from the irrigation system would worry me more than anything! There may even be fertilizer and other chemicals used with the system. This will cause major damage to your paint. Even if no chemicals are added, the water spots will etch into your paint unless they are removed immediately.
                Very Good point.

I generally agree with Mike's and Tim's recommendation about dust that has water fallen on top of it.
                RamAirV1
                I washed our Pilot Sunday when it rained, (to take advantage of the rain so the water wouldn't dry on my car before I could dry it off), to test some products I need some water spots on paint, so I sprayed hose water onto the clean paint and let it dry, here's a close up of the results...

Ouch!

If you look closely, it looks like a Type I mineral deposit water spot with dust particles in/on it.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

You did what?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding! It is amazing how fast and sometimes how bad some water spotting can be!

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');