• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested products for taking care of a new car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested products for taking care of a new car!

Suggested products for taking care of a new car!

The below suggestions were compiled in a reply to a common question asked here on Meguiar's Online by people who have,
    • Purchased a new car
    • Had their car professionally detailed to Like New Condition
    • Have restored their car's finish to Like New Condition often times through information they have learned here on Meguiar's Online.
    The thread can be found here,

Help in detailing 2005 Acura TL

Regardless of the type of car you're working on, the suggestions included below will work for anyone working on a car in excellent condition to start with. If you're working on a car in neglected condition by hand, then check out this article,

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

If you're working on a car in neglected condition using a dual action polisher, then check out this article,

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

~~~~~~~~
    Begin article
    ~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by NOISEMIAMI
    Newbie here, need some help on choosing detailing products I'm a little confused. Just bought back in February the 2005 Acura TL anthracite (charcoal dark color) with camel interior. Which products would you use?
    What I'm going to do is list some products and you can pick and choose which ones that you think you would like the best. First off, get yourself a COLOR=blue]Grit Guard Insert[/color] to insert into your wash bucket, this will enable dirt to fall to the bottom of your bucket where it will be trapped, preventing your from re-introducing dirt removed from one panel to another panel.

We spend a lot of time on this forum helping people to remove swirls and scratches, in a perfect world, you wouldn't put swirls and scratches into the finish in the first place and a Grit Guard will help you to do this.

As for a car wash soap, our top shelf car wash would be our Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner,

NXT Car Wash is also very popular.

To actually loosen and remove dirt, what's best is personal preferences, but Meguiar's offers an number of premium quality solutions you can check out here...

Car Washing Tools

Same goes for drying the excess water off the car...

Car Drying Tools

After you've stocked up everything you'll need to wash and dry the car, the next thing you'll want to do is evaluate the car's finish with both your eyes and your sense of touch. If after washing and drying when you draw the palm of your clean hand across the horizontal surfaces and feel little tiny bumps, this is an indicator of above surface bonded contaminants, yes, even a brand new car can need claying, you'll never know till you inspect.

If you do discover tiny little bumps on the finish then you'll want to clay your car's finish first and foremost as having contaminants on the finish will interfere with everything else you'll want to do to the finish.

For claying, check into Smooth Surface Clay Kit

Either after you've clayed your car's finish, or established that it doesn't need claying, then you move on to the next steps in Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle. Each step consists of a process and a category of products to perform a specific function to your car's paint. you don't have to do all the steps, it's kind of dependent upon the condition of the finish and also how car crazy your are.

For example, if you car's finish has no visible swirl, scratches or oxidation, then you don't need to use a paint cleaner.

Another example would be applying a pure polish, you don't' have to apply a pure polish, but for darker colors it really adds a lot of richness of paint color as well as clarity and gloss.

If after washing and drying your car your visual inspection in bright light reveals swirls and scratches, (Yes, even new cars can have swirls, it's called the Dealer Installed Swirl Option, or DISO), then you'll want to use a paint cleaner like either Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner for very light cleaning, or ScratchX for removing swirls and scratches.

After the cleaning step, you can then apply a pure polish to really increase the gloss and richness of color of your car's paint, for this an easy product to use that works great is Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish

For a product like this, you simply apply the product, work it in gently and then remove and move on to a new section as Meguiar's polishes don't have to dry and actually shouldn't be allowed to dry, simply apply, work in and then remove.

After polishing the entire car, (Remember this is optional), the apply two thin coats of your favorite wax. Any of the below would be great choices, you'll have to decide which one is right your car and and your eyes by pretty much asking others what they think and then trying a few out for yourself.

NEW NXT Generation Tech Wax Paste
    NXT Generation Tech Wax
    Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax
    #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax

All of the above waxes need to dry before removing them, to help you understand when a Meguiar's wax is ready to dry, use the Swipe Test

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test

To apply Meguiar's paint cleaners, polishes and waxes, you can use either of the below...

High-Tech Applicator Pad
    Even Coat Applicator

To remove any of the above products, Meguiar's recommends premium quality microfiber polishing cloths or clean soft, plush 100% cotton towels. To help you with this, Meguiar's offers high quality solutions...

Supreme Shine Microfiber
    Ultra Plush Super Terry

Remember, two thin coats always provides a more uniform appearance with more uniform coverage for protection. Once you have all of this done, then you can maintain these results with a mist & wipe quick detailer, like either of these...

NEW NXT Generation Speed Detailer
    Quik Detailer

To restore that just waxed look, you can use either of these...

Quik Wax
    NXT Generation Spray Wax

Here are two how-to articles that show you how to use spray waxes...

Using Meguiar's Even Coat Applicator to apply NXT Spray Wax
    How to Get Great Results Using Meguiar's Spray Waxes

The above should point you in the right direction as to the tools and product you'll need to properly maintain the exterior of you new car. We can also offer some suggestions for maintaining the interior also...

Hope this helps...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

New Car & Timing Question

Hi Mike, I hope you can provide your insight again. I have a new BMW 550 arriving soon and want to prepare it with a thorough polish and wax as soon as I can. If the car was assembled the week of Jan 16 (therefore it must be painted this week too) do I need to wait a certain amount of time to let the paint cure before I polish and wax? I intend on using Meguiars new car glaze and then NXT. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Just out of total curiousity, how do you know it was assembled that exact week? Did you get this made right off the assemly line for you??

This might be of some interest to you :
      Fresh Paint

Comment

the dealer can tell you through the VIN

Comment

Thanks for the link to the article. I am interpreting that as long as the car was factory baked (no repairs) I can detail immediately. Great.
          I know the build week as the dealer can track the car for me. When it arrives the date is on the VIN plate inside the drivers door. or at least it was on my 540.

Comment

Originally posted by anorrie
            I am interpreting that as long as the car was factory baked (no repairs) I can detail immediately. Great.
            Yes. Your car's paint is completely cured and you can wash and wax it all day long!
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the tips - my 72 B has never looked better!

Comment

Re: Suggested products for taking care of a new car!

Do you still suggest using Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and Deep Crystal Polish for taking care of a new car if you are using a dual action polisher or G-100? If so at what point do I consider using the Professional (Mirror Glaze Brand) line? Are there similar products to use that are better with my dual action polisher in the Professional line? I’ve read a lot about using Speed Glaze #80. When’s a good time to start using this?

Overall I’m a little confused of what products to use. I’ve done a lot of reading on this forum and I’m getting the hang of it, but I’m still confused.

Comment

I'll start my question in a new thread. Thx.

Comment

wooow
                    thats sooo nice man

Comment

[quote=Mike Phillips;56126]Suggested products for taking care of a new car!

Either after you've clayed your car's finish, or established that it doesn't need claying, then you move on to the next steps in Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle. Each step consists of a process and a category of products to perform a specific function to your car's paint. you don't have to do all the steps, it's kind of dependent upon the condition of the finish and also how car crazy your are.

For example, if you car's finish has no visible swirl, scratches or oxidation, then you don't need to use a paint cleaner.

Another example would be applying a pure polish, you don't' have to apply a pure polish, but for darker colors it really adds a lot of richness of paint color as well as clarity and gloss.

If after washing and drying your car your visual inspection in bright light reveals swirls and scratches, (Yes, even new cars can have swirls, it's called the Dealer Installed Swirl Option, or DISO), then you'll want to use a paint cleaner like either Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner for very light cleaning, or ScratchX for removing swirls and scratches.

After the cleaning step, you can then apply a pure polish to really increase the gloss and richness of color of your car's paint, for this an easy product to use that works great is Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish

What if you wash/dry/clay the vehicle and would like polish with a pure polish but don't necessarily see any more than a couple isolated light scratches?? Do you still need to use a paint cleaner? From my understanding, I could use some ScratchX 2.0 on the isolated scratches, correct? But I'm thinking that if I want to apply a pure polish I want to make sure the base is as good as possible... so should I use a paint cleaner or just use pure polish after claying (if needed)??

Comment

I have read them but the day after if you want to clean off the dust what do you use?

Comment

You would want one of the quick detailer products for this. Meguairs makes several.

In the Consumer Line, you could use Quick Detailer, Nxt Speed Detailer, or Ultimate Quick Detailer.

In the Professional Line, you could use Final Inspection, Last Touch, or the Synthetic Spray Detailer.

If you plan to do this every day, one of the pro-line products would let you buy in bulk.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by dbonevaz View Post
                            I have read them but the day after if you want to clean off the dust what do you use?

If your going to do this every day like Murr said, then buy a gallon of Last Touch, you wont be disappointed.
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Some Tips for car:
                              1. When washing a vehicle, do the wheels last. The very abrasive brake dust can get on your sponge and scratch the paint.
                              2. After thoroughly rinsing off the wheel cleaners, a minimum of two times, the wheels should be dried. Then apply wax or proper wheel protectant.
                              3. If you hit a pothole hard or run into a curb, inspect your wheels, or have a wheel shop do it, as soon as possible A bent wheel can flex as you drive so a small crack can spread. Then the wheel must be replaced.
                              glucosamine sulphate

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');