• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to wait for soap and wax on fresh enamel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to wait for soap and wax on fresh enamel?

I recently painted my 66 Impala with single stage acrylic enamel. I used alot of Mequiars products to get it looking really great but how long until I can use soap when I wash the car? Also, how long until I can wax?

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob
    http://www.348-409.com/

Re: How long to wait for soap and wax on fresh enamel?

Hi Bob,

Seeing that this is your first post... Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I checked out your website and I really like the link to the Junkyard photos...

Oh the shame...

This one is pretty cool too, check out the wheel and tire inside the front fender on what must be a Nash? Perhaps a Statesman?

Originally posted by bobs409
    I recently painted my 66 Impala with single stage acrylic enamel. I used a lot of Meguiar's products to get it looking really great but how long until I can use soap when I wash the car?
    You're in luck, Meguiar's offers two car wash soaps specifically formulated for use in body shop environments and for use on fresh paint.

M0016 Hi-Tech Wash
    M6201 Carwash Shampoo & Conditioner

Also, how long until I can wax?
    Most paint manufactures recommend waiting for at least 30 days before applying any type of wax or paint sealant. If temperatures are warm in your area then you should be okay to apply wax after 30 days. You could check with the paint manufacture and obtain a specific recommendation if you like.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thank you!

I must say, that's alot quicker than I thought. I'll check out that car wash too. My plans are to use the new Meguiars NXT wax too.

Glad you checked out my website. The junkyard photo's are fun. Now is the time to immortalize these lost cars in pictures before they are all gone.

The little car is a Metropolitan made by Nash. Funny looking cars.
      Bob
      http://www.348-409.com/

Comment

bobs409- I always wait a bit longer than that, more like two months or so, but then I figure I'm erring on the side of caution.

While the paint is curing, I like to use Meguiar's #5 New Car Glaze. It's fresh-paint-friendly and also *very* user-friendly. Other "pure polishes" will work for this too, but I always liked the #5.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');