• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polish for Dark color and light color car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polish for Dark color and light color car

what polish would be the best to use for a burgundy red car.

there seems to be different kind of polishes. Hand polish, speed glaze. new car glaze and others. which polish would be suggested for darker colored cars that can be applied by hand?

and what polish would be best for lighter colored cars. silver, light gray?

also my front bumper is just discusting with the old dings from rocks and bug splats. alot of it is from way back then when i didnt really take care of the car. ive had the car for 5 years now and its just recently when i started going car crazy and washing and waxing nearly every other weekend. what or is there still anything that can be done ? i dont have a picture of it. but its pretty much the worse case scenario. any advice on what to do?

as for my car so far the way steps ive taken when i detail my burgundy red camry are the following.

1. wash car w/ NXT car wash
    2. quik clay and quick detailer
    3. apply #20 polymer sealant.
    4. apply 2 thin coats of NXT paste wax.

now when im done it looks great but if i added a polish, would it make a big difference? slight difference? or i wont notice a thing?

thanks in advance from the feed backs.

i learn from them all.

Watch me go crazy silly fresh.

The Deep Crystal system polish brings out the best in dark color cars....

It works great for light cars too, but #7 or #81 will look great on light colors also.

I think it would be a good idea for you to add Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner #1 to your list too.....

Use it after claying, and before polishing to help remove below surface defects.
    Last edited by rusty bumper; Jul 11, 2005, 06:57 PM.
    r. b.

Comment

Below is a reply I wrote for a related and commonly asked question in which I read a lot of confusing information about on other forums...

Read through this and see if it makes sense...

Which LSP is better for light colors?

Originally posted by Cipitio
      Hi everybody,

I have a silver and a white car. I was thinking on increase my stock of Meguiar's LSP (couple of tins of #16).

I read a lot that NXT and #26 are awesome for dark color cars.

I want to know your opinion about the best choice on LSP for light color cars.

Thank you for your responses.
      Hi Scipio,

Here's the deal,

First of all, 99% of all cars being manufactured today have a clear coat, so keep in mind, most people are not working on a pigmented paint, but on clear paint. Clear paint is simply resin without color.

That said, if a car wax, or polish will make a dark or black colored paint look great, it's also making a light colored finish look great to it's just your eyes can't see the difference. This is why the best test for a product is always on dark colors and black paint specifically. The true results of a product are going to be the most apparent on black paint, whether its a single-stage finish or a clear coated finish.

The color that is the least efficient at demonstrating a difference is white paint, whether it's a single-stage, or a clear coated finish. This is why Meguiar's performs all of their testing on black paint.

What you see discussed on forums and elsewhere on the topic of some waxes being better on light colors and some waxes being better on dark colors is simply confusion.

You'll often read where someone will say, "Brand X is great on light colors", what is implied is that brand X doesn't make dark colors look good. If a wax or polish can't make a dark color look good, it isn't making a light color look good, your eyes just can't evaluate the difference.

The best waxes for appearance quality make all colors look good and you can know this by whether or not the wax makes dark colors look good.

Think about it for a second, if you have two identical cars, for example two Honda Accura's. One is white with a clear coat finish and the other is black with a clear coat finish, if a wax makes the black Accura look great, knowing you're working on the same kind of paint, (a clear coat), it's reasonable to assume that it's going to make the white Accura look great, it's just you're eyes won't perceive the difference as easily as they would with the black Accura.

Conversely, if a wax doesn't make the black Accura look good, it's reasonable to assume it's not going to make the white Accura look good for the same reasons outlined above.

end of copy and paste...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All Meguiar's Polishes work great on dark colors and light colors alike.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        All Meguiar's Polishes work great on dark colors and light colors alike.
        I agree with you here Mike, but the DC #2 polish does state that it was formulated for darker color cars...

Deep Crystal Polish is a pure polish specially formulated for dark colored cars. The formula creates a dazzling, high gloss finish by conditioning and nourishing the paint, making dark colors darker and reflections deeper and more clear. It is that extra step necessary to create the ultimate, wet-look show car shine.

I noticed that when it first came out years ago.

Is that just a misprint of info?
        r. b.

Comment

What I meant was that the product performs equally well on dark or light colors, it's just that your eye's will only see a visible difference on medium to dark colors.

This has to do with the article,

Why Meguiar's recommends polishing Paint

99.9% of all cars being manufactured today and for a number of years now have a clear coat. This means you are never actually working on a colored paint, but on clear paint. So if polishing is good for a medium to dark colored paint, it's also good for a white or light colored paint, it's just your eyes cannot see a visible difference in appearance. That doesn't mean applying a coat of polish wasn't good for the light colors.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

all right guys, im gonna go out and buy the Body Shop Professional Hand Polish.

has anybody have any advice on the application for this?

I heard its easier to remove than the show car glaze.

any advices on the application will be welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by toyotacamry99
              all right guys, I'm gonna go out and buy the Body Shop Professional Hand Polish.

has anybody have any advice on the application for this?

I heard its easier to remove than the show car glaze.

any advices on the application will be welcomed.
              Hi toyotacamry99,

Applying a pure polish like M81 Hand Polish is not only very simple, but if you love and enjoy your car it can even be fun!

First, wash and dry your car, or wipe it down with a quick detailer, we just don't want to work on a paint finish with any dust, dirt or other airborne contaminants.

Next, shake the bottle of Hand Polish up very well; remember to remove the lid and then remove the safety seal.

Next, apply a quarter size amount to one side of your applicator pad. Like this...

Next, apply the polish to the finish and spread it out using gentle, wide sweeping circular motions to an area about a foot squared or so.

(How far you can spread out a polish over the finish will change as your applicator becomes more saturated with polish)

After spreading the polish out over the are you are going to apply it to, then begin to work it into the paint, usually 2-3 good passes over each square inch is sufficient. Then repeat this process to a new area overlapping the area you just applied the polish to.

You can apply polish to one section at a time and then remove it using a clean, soft premium quality microfiber polishing cloth or a 100% cotton terry cloth towel and move on, or if you feel comfortable with the product and your skill level, you can apply to an entire panel at a time and then remove before moving on to the next panel, (for example apply to an entire fender and then remove), or if you feel comfortable with the product and your skill level you can apply to the entire car and then remove.

We just don't want you to experiencing any difficulty removing a pure polish so try to find a system that works best for you. The point being is a pure polish doesn't need to dry, simply
              • * Apply
                * Work polish in
                * Remove

If you're going to apply a wax immediately afterwards, don't worry about getting each and every little smear of polish residue off, just remove most of it. The rest will come off when you remove the wax.

If you're only going to apply polish and be finished, then remove most of the polish and then move on. Come back when you're all done and make a second pass to carefully and gently remove all of the polish.

Hope this helps...
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks for helpin mr phillips.

its very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X