• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ScratchX - Some information about this product and removing scratches by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScratchX - Some information about this product and removing scratches by hand

Someone else on another forum was asking about ScratchX and in their question they stated that Meguiar's claimed ScratchX would remove any scratch in your finish. I chimed in and did my best to clarify what can and cannot be done with ScratchX.

First off, no where on the label does it say ScratchX will remove ANY scratch from your paint.

In fact what it does say is that if ScratchX cannot remove a scratch or blemish, then only a machine applied professional formula will do the job.

Here is the back label in its entirety,

ScratchX is the most effective way to remove fine scratches and swirls from your paint by hand. This product is guaranteed to deliver the highest results possible by hand and it will also remove surface contaminant and enhance paint color. Unlike many of today's scratch removing formulas, Meguiar's ScratchX will not leave more scratched than it takes out. Use for quick touch ups on one section, or revive your cars look with a an application to the entire vehicle. If ScratchX cannot remove a scratch or blemish, only machine applied professional formulas can do the job. Please call our technical help center toll free for further assistance on how to restore your finish.
    I answer questions like this all the time and explain how it works.

Basically, modern clear coats are incredibly hard, at least relative to traditional paints. For this reason, you are very limited in what you can do with your hand. In order to remove a scratch from your finish, you must remove a certain amount of paint from the finish in an effort to level or flatten out the finish.

Thus the problem is, how do you remove small particles of paint in a controlled fashion in an effort to level the highest points of the surface with the lowest depths of the scratch?

The answer is, with catalyzed clear coat finishes, baked on at the factory, it is extremely difficult. That's why the back label says,

ScratchX is the most effective way to remove fine scratches and swirls from your paint by hand.

It's not perfect, but it's as effective as you and your 4 digits pushing down on a foam applicator can be.

If this combination won't remove the scratches, then it will require the application of machine applied compound, paint cleaner, or cleaner polish, (In the Meguiar's line). Which, the back label also states clearly.

Thus the increased popularity of the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher and products like Meguiar's #83 DACP, (Dual Action Cleaner Polish).

Does the product work? Yes, if the scratches and swirls are very light and the paint isn't so hard that a human cannot remove small particles of paint with their hand. In most cases, if you cannot completely remove the scratches, swirls or blemishes, you can at least improve them. Which for a lot of Joe Consumers, is good enough. Then apply a coat of wax and move on.

This product can be used for spot areas or on the entire car. Tomorrow we'll be doing a photo shoot for Vette Magazine using a black Corvette, and we'll be showing how to use ScratchX by hand, probably over the entire finish. We have not seen the Corvette yet, (Belongs to the senior editor of Super Chevy magazine), and the first thing Meguiar's always teaches is to first evaluate the finish, then select your products.

This product is not intended for use by machine because it tends to become gummy when heated. It was brought out to compete against gimmicky products like the other scratch removers in a tube that can potentially instill scratches into your finish because unlike Meguiar's they use abrasives that do not break down.

Thus the wording,

Unlike many of today's scratch removing formulas, Meguiar's ScratchX will not leave more scratches than it removes.

Once in a while we have to help someone who scratches their paint when using this product, in each case that we can remember, it was always because of their application material, i.e. a tatty rag, or a red shop rag, etc. or rubbing like a wild man.

Producing a flawless finish is a combination of the right products and the right application materials with the human elements of care and passion.

Note: After using the ScratchX, you need to apply a coat or two of your favorite wax as ScratchX is a paint cleaner, not a paint protectant.

Anyway, hope this helps...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

This is good to know, it definately helps to clarify the myths of all those TV products a while back where they scratched / set fire to the car and stuff.

I'm glad to know not to use this with a machine and it is a hand able alternative for removing light swirls/scratches from a clear coat finish ..

Comment

This is some good info... ScratchX is by far the least "gimmicky" product out that helps reduce scratches its obvious its not marketed in the "gimmicky" way. I laugh when I see a product on TV wiped on a deep scratch say a car thats been keyed and the scratch just disappears in one simple wipe, thats not how it works. Its amazing what some people will think, there is no do all miracle product out there that will make a car finish perfect with a simple wipe of a towel.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Sounds like ScratchX is not as strong as DACP applied with a PC.
        r. b.

Comment

Is it necessary to push hard on the foam applicator......will pushing harder back and forth get more scratches out? I used colorX yesterday and there are still a few scratches that are bugging me.........don thave the money for a PC so im going to go up to Autozone and pick up some scratchX to see if that can help the problem.
          1999 V6 Mustang

Turbo: www.tmaturbo.com

Tune: www.springfieldmotorsport.com

Comment

Having used them both...I don't think you will be any happier with scratchx It sounds like you are going to need something more aggresive. I had some good luck with #9. I don't have a PC yet.

Comment

Well........after applying ScratchX on half of the vehicle, I couldn't tell a difference. Maybe I put it on wrong or something, but that was a waste of 8 bucks.

Hah...the bottle was right......ScratchX Cannot remove A scratch or blemish. Im not a pro or anything.....so maybe i did something wrong.
              1999 V6 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by 99BlackStangMan
                Well........after applying ScratchX on half of the vehicle, I couldn't tell a difference. Maybe I put it on wrong or something, but that was a waste of 8 bucks.

Hah...the bottle was right......ScratchX Cannot remove A scratch or blemish. Im not a pro or anything.....so maybe i did something wrong.
                Try using a terry pad applicator with your cleaners...It might give the product more bite.
                r. b.

Comment

Hmm....maybe. Is it just me....or is ScratchX a B*tch to remove?
                  1999 V6 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by 99BlackStangMan
                    Hmm....maybe. Is it just me....or is ScratchX a B*tch to remove?
                    I have yet to use ScratchX myself, as I have a PC to do all the cleaning, polishing & waxing.

I always thought that the price of ScratchX was a little stiff for the amount that you get...I would rather spend my money on Body Scrub, Medallion, Fine Cut Cleaner, etc., as you get more for your money....Even if I apply it by hand.
                    r. b.

Comment

Scratch X is easy to remove for me. On the tube it says to let it dry before removal so that could make it easier.

If Scratch X does not work try Medallion Paint Cleaner. In my experience it is more aggressive but can still be used by hand. However, I prefer to use Medallion Paint Cleaner with the PC as it gives faster and better results yet. Don't let the Medallion dry though, if you do it will be a lot more difficult to remove. It seems best to remove it while it is still wet.

RamAirV1
                      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');