• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffing Out New Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing Out New Paint

Hi All,

My brother's son has been learning the body shop trade of late, and he painted his father's truck for him this week. But he hasn't learned the craft well enough to do any wet sanding and buffing that normally goes with a new paint job, so my brother called and asked me if I could buff the finish with my DA and #83.....Or maybe the DA and #84.

I know that #84 is more suited for the rotary buffer, but is it possible to improvise here and use it with the DA, or would I be better off just using the #83/DA combo?

My brother said the paint job looked pretty good as is.

I forgot whether it was clear-coated or not.

Thanks,
    r. b.

Hi Rusty,

When you say,

Can I buff the paint with my dual action polisher?

The answer is "Yes"

If you mean,

"Can I wet sand the paint and then remove the sanding marks using a dual action polisher?

The answer is "No"

It wold be one thing to work on a sanded section the size of your palm, on fresh paint finishing with #3000 grit, then the answer would be "Maybe", if the paint's real soft and you're really good with the polisher.

When you're talking about sanding down each panel and then efficiently and effectively removing the sanding marks, then the answer is no the only way to do this is with a rotary buffer.

Does that make sense?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Your brother's son would really benefit from our "How To Remove Paint Defects" video...

Watch our how-to video here,

How to remove paint defects

Or you can purchase it here,

Professional Education Series Video

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

My apologies Mike..........I was thinking of just trying to buff the paint without the sanding part.

I've never wet sanded a vehicle's paint before, so I told my brother that I would rather not try that on his truck.
        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
          My apologies Mike..........I was thinking of just trying to buff the paint without the sanding part.

I've never wet sanded a vehicle's paint before, so I told my brother that I would rather not try that on his truck.
          In this case, then just use M80 Speed Glaze with the dual action polisher on the 4.0 to 5.0 setting. This will leave the finish looking awesome. As soon as the painters says it's okay to wax, the apply a coat of your favorite wax.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Your brother's son would really benefit from our "How To Remove Paint Defects" video...
            I happen to have that video myself......I think I'll make a copy and send it to him......Thanks for the idea!
            r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              In this case, then just use M80 Speed Glaze with the dual action polisher on the 4.0 to 5.0 setting. This will leave the finish looking awesome. As soon as the painters says it's okay to wax, the apply a coat of your favorite wax.
              I did just that to the hood of our Dodge last year after it was painted. #80 protected the finish while the paint was curing, and even after having to park it under a sweet gum tree for a year, the hood still looks great with regular care, and with no etching to speak of.
              r. b.

Comment

Everybody I’ve heard of who tried to skip the rotary and go straight to the G-100 was unsuccessful.

Maybe if you go far beyond the usual 1500 or 2000 grit final wetsanding and step the paper to 6000 or 8000 is could work.

Of course, since he’s learning the trade, it would be best for him to learn how to wetsand and use the rotary. Meguiar’s video is great.

In addition to learning to use Meguiar’s Unigrit products for hand sanding I would also highly recommend the Mirka system of abrasives for power sanding.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
                  Everybody I’ve heard of who tried to skip the rotary and go straight to the G-100 was unsuccessful.PC.
                  I hope to have my own rotary one day, but wet sanding is new territory for me.........I might try it one day though.

Thanks for the links.

I remember in the Meguiar video where I saw a pneumatic DA sanding the paint with what looked like dry sandpaper. I thought the sandpaper was supposed to be wet?
                  r. b.

Comment

The air sander, hook&loop abrasive disks and interface pad shown in the video are from the Mirka system.

The Mirka Royal Micro disks are designed to be used wet or dry. Used dry they actually cut less aggressively than when wet and allow you to gauge the progress of your work without stopping to squeegee the surface. You do have to clean the disk and surface often to avoid getting “pigtails” from rolled up balls of paint particles (swarf).

I was a little worried before I first tried it but once I did I was convinced. It’s a great system.

The Royal Micro papers (1500 grit) are used to flatten the surface. Then you change to their Abralon foam pads (2000 and 4000 grit) to remove the scratch from the papers. The scratch from the 4000 grit Abralon pads is easily removed with a rotary polisher and foam cutting pads. Even with more sanding steps the process goes faster and the results are better and more consistent because sanding is faster than buffing and you don’t need to use a wool pad with the rotary.

PC.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');