• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLACK mercedes C320

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLACK mercedes C320

I've got a detail job after work on a car that I haven't seen yet (gotta love those), but I do know that it's a black C320. Knowing the color of black, I'm expecting swirl marks and light scratches. I don't trust myself enough to try a buffer yet, though I am anxious to see the results of using one. Any suggestions on the best product for the swirls with doing everything by hand?

Any info will help.

When you say buffer do you mean a PC? If so, those are hard to mess up. If your going to do it by hand however, scratchX is probably your best bet. Followed by a polish (#7 or #81) and 2 light coats of NXT. If the swirls or scratches are very severe, your arm will be rubber tomorrow morning. My advice, if you have a PC dont be scared, its sooooo easy to use. Also the different products made for the PC will make your job much easier.
    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

I'm new to this online pro terminology. What's 'PC' stand for? And how much should I expect to spend on one? I bought a tube of ScratchX and I'd like to try that. I almost picked up the #7 and the NXT also. My supplier is right down the street though. I've really had a lot of good luck with the cleaner wax and having a hard time trying to explore any other methods. But I want MY detail job to be the best in town, so I'm open for suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane's Shine Shop
        I'm new to this online pro terminology. What's 'PC' stand for? And how much should I expect to spend on one? I bought a tube of ScratchX and I'd like to try that. I almost picked up the #7 and the NXT also. My supplier is right down the street though. I've really had a lot of good luck with the cleaner wax and having a hard time trying to explore any other methods. But I want MY detail job to be the best in town, so I'm open for suggestions.
        Howdy Shane,

ScratchX is great for removing light scratches and swirls by hand, but like mentioned above, if you do most of your work by hand, your arm will be rubber after one car.

The "PC" is the Meguiars Porter Cable, Electric Dual Action Polisher

I did alot of reading on the forum here for good tips and proper use of the "PC". The VERY first time I used it, I achieved results that would have taken many hours to achieve by hand, if at all. I went straight for Meguiars #83, Dual Action Cleaner/Polish.

#7 or #81 (Hand Polish) will not do you wrong when applied before wax. I've been using #81 myself for awhile now, but just picked up #7 and will try it this weekend or next.

Nxt wax is phenomenal! Alot of old-pros here have tried it out and now it's all they use and swear by. A few months ago, I had detailed a friend's '97 E320. Just Monday, he told me that after it had rained here recently, that the wax was still holding up as if I had just waxed it last week!

Good luck, keep us posted here on your work!
        Lew

"...will separate aircraft for food"

My Mercedes Benz S600

Comment

Depending on the year, MB C-class has very soft paint, you can use a product like #80 and a PC and get great results, even ScratchX by hand if you have the time and energy to do it. If it's a newer C with the nano paint (look in the door jamb, if the paint code starts with a C it has the nano paint, regular black is 040, nano black is C40), it's a much harder finish and much harder to chip and swirl and hence more harder to polish the swirls out when you do get them. For the nano paint I would recomend a rotary, or if you have to use a PC, #83 dacp may work.

Comment

The job is done. The Benz wasn't as bad as I suspected as far as the light scratches. I ran out of time to really try the ScratchX because I had to devote a lot of time to the interior and to the yellow highway paint splattered behind each wheel. Any suggestions on removing that stuff?! I got quite a bit off, but didn't want to get too carried away and put scratches in the paint. I'm not thrilled with the idea of it not being "perfect", but I told the owner that I'd do some research on safe paint removal and that I'd like to take care of that for her.

Anyway...the car looked good and the customer is happy.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
              Depending on the year, MB C-class has very soft paint, you can use a product like #80 and a PC and get great results, even ScratchX by hand if you have the time and energy to do it. If it's a newer C with the nano paint (look in the door jamb, if the paint code starts with a C it has the nano paint, regular black is 040, nano black is C40), it's a much harder finish and much harder to chip and swirl and hence more harder to polish the swirls out when you do get them. For the nano paint I would recomend a rotary, or if you have to use a PC, #83 dacp may work.
              Do you have information on other manufactures paints?....Hyundai Ebony Black 2005 Sonata to be exact....I've gotten information that indicates their paint is not the greatest...thanks...
              Bill Poirier
              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

I just know about MBs because I've had a bunch. My 2002 C was a swirl magnet, the hard water in So Cal was enough to swirl it My 2004 C with the nano paint hasn't swirled at all and it gets the dealer free car wash at least every other week. Even Mike Phillips was suprised to see no swirls during his inspection rounds at a Detail Days event.

Comment

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
                  I just know about MBs because I've had a bunch. My 2002 C was a swirl magnet, the hard water in So Cal was enough to swirl it My 2004 C with the nano paint hasn't swirled at all and it gets the dealer free car wash at least every other week. Even Mike Phillips was suprised to see no swirls during his inspection rounds at a Detail Days event.
                  I bet it would be hard to buff out a scratch with paint that hard?
                  r. b.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');