Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird poop

Registered Member

Bird poop

My friends car got bombed on by a bird and he left it sitting for a few days. Well when he washed it off the paint was dull in that one spot. Any suggestions on how to bring it back? The car is black.

Registered Member LnkPrkSoldier's Avatar
    bird residue, if left unattended to for a long period of time, will etch into the paint making it nearly unsalvageable. that happened to mine and i tried #80 numerous times with only minimal results. how long has that residue been left on the paint? hopefully it has been washed off with car wash or quick detailer. i would suggest #80 or maybe even scratchX. i wouldn't start yet though, i would wait until mike chimes in with his information

*edit*

sorry i did not see that this was your first post. to Meguiars Online and i hope you enjoy your stay
    Last edited by LnkPrkSoldier; Jun 20th, 2005 at 06:43 PM.

Registered Member
    I would say use ScratchX, but w/out seeing the amount of damage, it's hard to tell. Any pics?

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Re: Bird poop

Originally posted by nhernandez
    My friends car got bombed on by a bird and he left it sitting for a few days. Well when he washed it off the paint was dull in that one spot. Any suggestions on how to bring it back? The car is black.
    Hi nhernandez,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Read the below how-to article and remember the key to getting good results with a gentle paint cleaner like ScratchX is to put a little passion behind the pad and apply more than one application. After you've worked the defect out to your liking, don't forget to apply some wax over the area as a paint cleaner is not a protecting product, it's a defect removal products.

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Best of luck to you...
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Scratch X does seem to work well for bird droppings. If they are really severe though you would be better off with #83 applied with the DA polisher. That works just about every time. I had some really bad bird damage on my '98 TA and it took six machine applications of MPPC (Medallion Paint Cleaner) to remove the majority of it. Using Scratch X by hand would have taken a lot longer, maybe between 10 and 20 applications. It just depends on how severe the damage is.

When the birds eat berries and do the purple thing that is very bad. You need to get that off as soon as possible. It is better to prevent and minimize than to remove bird dropping etchings. I keep some Final Detail QD at work for such emergencies.

RamAirV1

Registered Member
    Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Registered Member

Normal??

Hey Mike, this weekend I was trying to remove certain scratches from my Avalanche's tailgate but after (not sure how many passes) I started feeling the pad getting very hot as well as my fingers, let alone the paint. Is it advisable to stop and let it cool down or is my technique wrong?? I mostly use left to right or angled up and down swipes (depending on the scratch I go with the scratch or should I swirl around it??) By Passion I assume you mean elbow grease right? Any help on this will be wonderful. I stopped because I thought I might be causing more harm than good by heating things up.
    Yea, I'm a red hot beaner!!

Re: Normal??

Originally posted by yndio
    Hey Mike, this weekend I was trying to remove certain scratches from my Avalanche's tailgate but after (not sure how many passes) I started feeling the pad getting very hot as well as my fingers, let alone the paint. Is it advisable to stop and let it cool down or is my technique wrong?? I mostly use left to right or angled up and down swipes (depending on the scratch I go with the scratch or should I swirl around it??) By Passion I assume you mean elbow grease right? Any help on this will be wonderful. I stopped because I thought I might be causing more harm than good by heating things up.
    The paint shouldn't get so hot you cannot touch it and be comfortable. Sounds like too much passion. Are you working a very small area? If so, slow your hand movement down a little so you don't' generate as much heat.

Meguiar's teaches you can go any direction you like, as for myself, I have a tendency to move the pad across the scratch to start with, and then follow up with circular motions to even things out.
    Mike Phillips

Registered Member
    too funny, first time I've heard I'm TOO passionate!!, Yes, small section maybe 5x6" sections at a time. Will try to slow up a bit.
    Yea, I'm a red hot beaner!!

Originally posted by yndio
    too funny, first time I've heard I'm TOO passionate!!, Yes, small section maybe 5x6" sections at a time.
    That's what I figured...
    Mike Phillips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information