• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound, or try Ultimate Polish again??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound, or try Ultimate Polish again??

Hello, everyone, this is my first post here. First off I would like to thank everyone for all the information that this forum has, i'ts pretty thorough. Next, I do have a question you might can help answer. As you can see from the picture below, I only use Meguiar's products. I recently purchased a 2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature in Machine Gray. It's a beautiful car inside and out, especially considering it's price range. However, when I took delivery of it a little over a two weeks ago, the paint was in horrible shape for being brand new. It looked like it was washed multiple times using a brush with extremely dirty bristles. Every surface of the paint had spider webs and hairline scratches, most evident on the piano black trim pieces. They looked especially horrible in direct lighting. On top of that, the clear coat had abundant debris in it including rail dust and general trash. So, I washed and dried it really well and clay barred it. Then I used a Porter Cable 7346SP and a Chemical Guys Orange Hex pad combined with Meguiars Ultimate Polish. It made a noticeable difference on the swirls and scratches but did not remove them completely. Then, I used the same DA polisher and finished it off with Meguiars M21 Synthetic Sealant. That seemed to make even more a difference on the swirls than the polish did. However, they swirls are still visible from an angle or direct lighting. MUCH better, but not gone.

So, my question is, should I polish the car again with Ultimate Polish? Or, should I use the Ultimate Compound instead, then follow up with Ultimate Wax? With it being a new car I didn't know if the Ultimate Compound is too abrasive. I really love this car, but having the paint look so awful for it being brand new is bothering me. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!! [IM

G][/IMG

Re: Ultimate Compound, or try Ultimate Polish again??

Anyone? I'm willing to try a different Meguiar's product if need be. It really boils down to if the Ultimate Compound is too harsh for brand new vehicle paint? I do want these swirls and scratches gone though!

Comment

You have a protective sealant on it now. Ultra Polish is a very mild polish. you may need a little stronger one. I would leave it till Spring. During Winter, get as much info as you can to get you on track.
      Check out various detailing forums for more info.
      Maybe someone more experienced than I can chime in on this.

Comment

Originally posted by StopTheExcuses View Post
        It really boils down to if the Ultimate Compound is too harsh for brand new vehicle paint? I do want these swirls and scratches gone though!
        The simplest answer is try a test spot. Just be aware that depending on the paint hardness, you may have to polish after using ultimate compound to remove and DA haze that can occur. I would still recommend using a polish after compounding to refine the finish but to add that gloss.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

So let's talk about a couple of things.
          Did you polish the full car with just one orange Hex-Logic pad?
          Which method and frequency did you use to clean the pad as you went along.
          I ask, because, claying may have missed some of the contaminants like rail particles that got picked up and joined with spent product and residue to add some swirls back to the paint.

You mentioned that you also used the DA to apply the Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant.
          Is it possible that you used the orange Hex-Logic pad for that application?
          If so, that may add some swirls. Consider finding a much less aggressive pad to apply the sealant.

Comment

That is a very nice image you included in your original post. That image took a little patience to set up. Could you take a flashlight or other light source to capture a good image of your paint's swirls and post them. That will help Nick, Mike, The Guz and other MOL members help you even more.

You can use compressed air, a pad brush or the "On the fly method" to clean pads as you compound or polish.

I looked for the Meguiar's video on pad cleaning and did not find it. Here are three alternative videos.

1 Mike Phillips How To Clean Your Pad On The Fly
            Mike Phillips shows you how to quickly clean or remove all the built-up gunk on the face of a DA Polisher using a Terry Cloth Towel so you can work clean and...

2 Ammo NYC Larry - His methods of cleaning pads (not on the fly)
            -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ib5MOv9xQ

3 - Gary Dean - THE UNTOLD TRUTH IN DETAILING - VOL 17 - HOW I CLEAN POLISHING PADS
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PERBaPeUqk

Comment

Originally posted by sunday joe View Post
              You have a protective sealant on it now. Ultra Polish is a very mild polish. you may need a little stronger one. I would leave it till Spring. During Winter, get as much info as you can to get you on track.
              Check out various detailing forums for more info.
              Maybe someone more experienced than I can chime in on this.
              Thank you for your reply. I do plan on gaining more knowledge during the winter for sure.

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
              The simplest answer is try a test spot. Just be aware that depending on the paint hardness, you may have to polish after using ultimate compound to remove and DA haze that can occur. I would still recommend using a polish after compounding to refine the finish but to add that gloss.
              Okay, maybe I'll try a really discrete spot on the lower bumper, or maybe inside a door jamb actually to see how the paint reacts.

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
              So let's talk about a couple of things.
              Did you polish the full car with just one orange Hex-Logic pad?
              Which method and frequency did you use to clean the pad as you went along.
              I ask, because, claying may have missed some of the contaminants like rail particles that got picked up and joined with spent product and residue to add some swirls back to the paint.

You mentioned that you also used the DA to apply the Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant.
              Is it possible that you used the orange Hex-Logic pad for that application?
              If so, that may add some swirls. Consider finding a much less aggressive pad to apply the sealant.
              Yes, I did use just one Orange Hex-Logic pad to do the entire vehicle, and at the end, very small bits of orange were coming from the pad. I ordered the pad sampler kit which came with the pad cleaner. So, maybe twice during my detailing i stopped and cleaned the pad with the chemical guys spray. As far as the clay bar, I spent a good amount of time with it to make sure all the rail dust and debris was gone, as I didn't notice any additional swirls in the paint. As I did mention, the swirls and scratches are much improved, but still visible under harsh lighting. As for the sealant, I used a blue Hex_Logic finishing pad that came with my sampler pack.

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
              That is a very nice image you included in your original post. That image took a little patience to set up. Could you take a flashlight or other light source to capture a good image of your paint's swirls and post them. That will help Nick, Mike, The Guz and other MOL members help you even more.

You can use compressed air, a pad brush or the "On the fly method" to clean pads as you compound or polish.

I looked for the Meguiar's video on pad cleaning and did not find it. Here are three alternative videos.

1 Mike Phillips How To Clean Your Pad On The Fly
              Mike Phillips shows you how to quickly clean or remove all the built-up gunk on the face of a DA Polisher using a Terry Cloth Towel so you can work clean and...

2 Ammo NYC Larry - His methods of cleaning pads (not on the fly)
              -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ib5MOv9xQ

3 - Gary Dean - THE UNTOLD TRUTH IN DETAILING - VOL 17 - HOW I CLEAN POLISHING PADS
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PERBaPeUqk
              Thanks for the videos, I will watch them as soon as I'm done replying. As far as a picture, I would love to, but unfortunately it will be at least a week. I haven't even made the first payment on it yet and somebody rear ended me last Monday. I'm sick over it, especially considering it's a brand new car. I do have some pictures I took when I done with the first crack at removing the swirls I'll post, but the way the light is hitting the paint you can't see the swirls. However, I will absolutely take another picture with the swirls as soon as I get it back from the body shop.

Comment

How's the car coming along? Have you watched the videos on polishing and buffing with the PC? The members on here know their stuff and won't steer you wrong.

Comment

Typically the process is to use the compound to remove defects, and the polish to further "gloss up" before sealing/waxing.

Occasionally, a finishing polish combined with a more aggressive pad can be enough, but for heavier defects, it usually requires a heavier cutting liquid.

Definitely need to get a couple extra pads, especially for cutting. I like to have at least eight on hand, but never go through that many.

That pad cleaner is actually pretty good, but be advised that it is intended to be used diluted, and rinsed out of the pad before being put back to work.

A good semi-firm tooth brush can be used to knock built up residue odd the pad, and a spare microfiber towel can be used to wick away excess moisture. I like the orange handle pad conditioning brushes commercially available. I believe Meguiar's offers one with a black handle, which is essentially the same thing. Be sure to knock the residue out of the brush bristles occasionally too. Otherwise the particulates can transfer back into the pad, reducing potential finishing quality

I've used those pads a lot, but I use the green to cut, blue to polish, and red to lay down sealant.

Comment

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
                    Typically the process is to use the compound to remove defects, and the polish to further "gloss up" before sealing/waxing.
                    Guys...
                    One option is to go with M105 (DA polisher), followed by M205 (Hand polish), and finally M305 (Hand glaze).
                    This is a great combination.
                    2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

He already has Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax. No need to double up on polish and waxes. Though your combo is really nice, why not use what he has.

Comment

Originally posted by syswizard View Post
                        Guys...
                        One option is to go with M105 (DA polisher), followed by M205 (Hand polish), and finally M305 (Hand glaze).
                        This is a great combination.
                        It would be redundant. The products he has will do the job.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');