• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to coating for wheels...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to coating for wheels...

Guys -
    I searched the forums here but really didn't find a definitive answer to the question of the best protective coating for aluminum and alloy wheels ?
    The goal here is to be able to simply squirt the wheels with water when they get coated with brake dust...and only applies to wheels that are NOT oxidized or pitted....as that is a whole new problem.
    Heck, I was even thinking of using the RainX polymer coating....but I am unsure of the adhesion to metal as well as the durability.
    2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Re: Back to coating for wheels...

I am treating my clear coated aluminum/alloy wheels just like I treat the paint. Took them off for the winter and brought them inside, and am in the process of compounding certain small areas, with UC, and little polish, and coat with Ultimate Wax. You can buy all kinds of products for wheels, but in my opinion Ultimate Wax is as good as any.

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion Blueline.....
      I would have thought that Meguirar would have come up with a special coating for metal.
      2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

I guess the real issue is what to do for wheels that are NOT clear coated.

Comment

Originally posted by syswizard View Post
          Guys -
          I searched the forums here but really didn't find a definitive answer to the question of the best protective coating for aluminum and alloy wheels ?
          The goal here is to be able to simply squirt the wheels with water when they get coated with brake dust...and only applies to wheels that are NOT oxidized or pitted....as that is a whole new problem.
          Heck, I was even thinking of using the RainX polymer coating....but I am unsure of the adhesion to metal as well as the durability.
          Are these wheels clear coated or not? Are they factory wheels or aftermarket? The products to use to clean/polish them are different.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

My wheels do appear to be clear-coated. But what to use if they were not ?
            Is it the detailer's obligation to clear-coat a customer's wheels ?

Comment

If they are clear coated then treat them like paint as Blueline mentioned in his post. If they are not clear coated such as bare aluminum, then a metal polish to clean them up and remove the oxidation followed by a wax or sealant to protect. Then there is chrome which can be polished out with chrome polish or polish for paint.

Generally factory wheels are clear coated.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');