• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning DA Foam Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasoning DA Foam Pads

OK, I did a search and couldn't find an answer to this. I just got brand new foam pads for my MT300 DA Polisher and I have seen mentioned here many times in the forums that you need to season your pads before using them. So just thinking the basics of red pad / UC, yellow pad / UP, and black pad / ULW, how exactly does one "season" these pads for the products that they will be used for. Also, if I were to move up to the mirror glaze line does the process need to be repeated with those products? Or does anyone know a link to a forum article that discusses this? Thanks.

Re: Seasoning DA Foam Pads

I start with four small drops around the circumference of the pad, and reload with two or three. I never spread product over the face of a foam pad. It wastes product and prematurely saturates the foam.

Unless you are working in a body shop environment, you probably don't need the Mirror Glaze stuff.

Comment

I spray a slight mist of quick detailer over the pad face then put 3-4 drops of product around the edge, rubbing the drops around with my finger just so they don't splatter on me.

Comment

Check out this video if you have not already done so. Check out how Mike primes the pads when he gets to the polishing and compounding portions of it.

99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Drumdan- I have always used the ultimate line, but in a previous thread I started talking about getting my first new black car it was suggested to possibly move up to M205 for my polishing. Basically I just want to try and do the best I can because even though it will be a daily driver and I would definitely fall into the driveway detailer description (or apartment parking lot as it is) I want to try to keep the paint looking as good as possible.

Joe- I've heard that more than once about using the UQD on the pad also. I might try that out in an inconspicuous spot just to see if maybe it gives me that extra little edge.

And the guy who I think I've read more excellent responses to posts on every subject I could ever think to look for on here, Guz- OK, watched the video and based on what you said I think this was a misunderstanding of the term. When I thought of priming the pad I was thinking of what you do when say painting. You put primer on the car panel or wall first as a base layer, then apply your paint. I was thinking in these terms meaning I would want to say wipe my polishing pad with polish first to get a small amount of polish all over the pad before moving on to the main polishing where i would put the polish on the pad I intended to get on the car. But I believe it now just means putting the polish on and starting working. Am I correct on this? P.S. I really appreciate how you take time to offer your insight on almost anything that comes up. Please keep doing it, especially for mine because I am definitely still learning this obsession and you seem to have tons of useful information to share.

Comment

[QUOTE=bowlerr;583654in a previous thread I started talking about getting my first new black car [/QUOTE]

If you want to have a life, don't do it.............. Until recently I had two black cars...I had no life. Chained in the garage like an indentured servant. Never allowed to go golfing with my friends on Saturday mornings, never allowed to drive on dusty roads, or in the rain. Never saw my family, except when they brought meals to me out in the garage. The cars made me buy special tools, specials cleaning products and perfumes, and only allowed me to drive them on the most perfect sunny days. It was not an obsession, it was purgatory. Fortunately, when the older one was sleeping, I got rid of it, and got myself a new granite crystal metallic (sparkly gray) and it is wonderful not to be chained to it. It doesn't care about a little dust, it is hardly noticeable, but get dust on the black car, and it pouts, sulks,and becomes quite miserable until cleaned. You have been warned.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
              If you want to have a life, don't do it.............. Until recently I had two black cars...I had no life. Chained in the garage like an indentured servant. Never allowed to go golfing with my friends on Saturday mornings, never allowed to drive on dusty roads, or in the rain. Never saw my family, except when they brought meals to me out in the garage. The cars made me buy special tools, specials cleaning products and perfumes, and only allowed me to drive them on the most perfect sunny days. It was not an obsession, it was purgatory. Fortunately, when the older one was sleeping, I got rid of it, and got myself a new granite crystal metallic (sparkly gray) and it is wonderful not to be chained to it. It doesn't care about a little dust, it is hardly noticeable, but get dust on the black car, and it pouts, sulks,and becomes quite miserable until cleaned. You have been warned.
              Ain't that the TRUTH!

Black is not a color, but an occupation....but they sure do look good when all sparkle and bright.

Bill

Comment

Haha, very true. But, on the positive side, I have no life, so this is my hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                  Ain't that the TRUTH!

Black is not a color, but an occupation....but they sure do look good when all sparkle and bright.

Bill
                  Ain't that the TRUTH also.

Comment

To prime a pad you put a little product all over the pad and move it around with your finger. You cover the _entire_ surface of the pad but not in a thick coat, as thin as possible. You don't waste product as 1) you put product on for a reason and you need to do this for the entire pad and 2) you lose less product as you reapply.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');