• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car questions

So after 14 years and 211,000 I finally traded in my satin silver 2003 Honda Civic EX for a new 2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan in crystal black pearl. This will be the first black car I have ever owned and tried to maintain, and also the first new car I have worked on since I started getting interested in detailing.

So I know I need to do the baggy test and will probably need to clay bar the car to get the surface cleaned up. My question is I am looking for suggestions specifically aimed at a new black car as relates to washing, polishing, waxing, and protecting. Any info about what people have used in the past with success or things to be careful about would be greatly appreciated. As I am starting out fresh with this car I want to do everything I can to keep it looking in pristine condition. Thanks everyone.

Re: New car questions

Hello Bowlerr,

I detailed professionally for 14 years so here is my advice. BTW, we have a black Escalade so I know the effort it takes in keeping it looking good on a daily basis.

1) Wash your vehicle regularly using the two bucket method.

2) Use only quality car wash soaps. Eagle One, Meguiars, Mothers and Griots are my favorites.

3) Use only quality wash mitts and microfiber towels to wash and dry with. In addition, have designated mitts/towels for specific jobs (jambs, tires, body, etc). I reserve and use a CarPro merino wash mitt on the paint surface and highly recommend it.

You can dry via a traditional method but my favorite way to dry is a two towel method. This is the safest method which offers the best results IMHO. Wipe a section with a damp MF towel in one hand and then follow it up with a dry MF towel in the other hand. You'll have to wring out the damp towel on occasion or swap out with more.

Tips: *The Platinum Pluffle is superior for this method. *If desired, you can briefly use a leaf blower prior to drying to remove excessive water on horizontal surfaces. This will make towel drying quicker. Do no overuse the blower though as that may lead to spotting and/or re-introduce debris on the paint surface. *Always wash/dry in the shade or when it is cool outdoors.

4) Use a quick detailer or spray wax after so many car washes. Otherwise, you can use it after every wash if desired. This will aid significantly in the look and upkeep of your vehicle. Eagle One Nano Spray Wax and Wax-as-U-Dry are my two favorites.

5) Apply a quality paste or liquid wax every two to three months. Meguiars Ultimate Wax is my favorite on light colored vehicles but I use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 on dark vehicles because the former tends to streak on such whereas the later does not. These are synthetic waxes that are easy to apply/remove and offer superior protection. However, on occasion when I want to go all out I will apply a natural carnauba wax. It just offers a superior deep gloss IMHO.

6) Once a year apply a polish-wax (two step) or a cleaner wax (one step). The two step method will render the best results and I highly recommend Meguairs M205 for this.

7) Use a clay bar or clay sponge once or twice a year prior to washing/waxing.

God Bless,
    Ralph

Comment

Ralph, thanks for the info. To address some of what you mentioned...
      1. I already use either the two bucket method with grit guard...
      2. ...using Ultimate Wash & Wax or I’ll do a waterless wash with Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax....
      3. ... using either two Meguiars Microfiber Wash Mitts and two Meguiars Microfiber drying towels, or several Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber towels if doing waterless.
      4. I use UQD and UQW in between all the time.
      5. This is the meat of where I was uncertain. I have used ULW applied with my Megs DA Polisher religiously on my old silver Civic but I was not sure how the ULW applied the same way would work out on a new black car. And I was looking at possibly upgrading to M26 specifically because I have read several people mention how it gives that deep slick gloss to it. I’m also strongly looking at Ultimate Fast Finish because I’m the summer in New Mexico it’s tough to be able to get an exceptional washing and cleaning done because the sun comes over my apartment building too fast in the morning and I only get roughly three hours a day to work on the car before the sun hits it.
      6. M205... heard alot about that and strongly considering it paired with the aforementioned DA polisher.
      7. Because I live in a sandy, dusty area, I use my C2000 mild clay bars probably more often than I need to, but I love that completely slick feel.

Again thanks for all the info. I got the detailing bug about 1.5 years ago and I actually mentioned at the dealership that I wanted to take on the challenge of a black car to try to keep it looking elite.

-Rob

Comment

Hey bowlerr,

It sounds like you have an excellent knowledge base already in regards to car care. I will point out a few things.

1) A lot of folks like to use a clay bar prior to waxing each time. This is fine if you are careful and know what you are doing but there is some inherent risk involved. You have to decide whether having that absolutely slick feel all the time is worth the risk of instilling possible scratches or flat spots. I personally reserve it for once a year but our vehicle is garage kept.

2) I never recommend using a waterless system. Hand washing via two buckets is the safest method and every effort should be made to do it in that fashion. This is especially critical on dark vehicles. The waterless systems should only be used as a last resort and only when hand washing with a hose isn't an option.

3) You can use your DA and UW on your vehicle with excellent results. Ultimate Wax is a fully synthetic wax so it will offer the longest and best protection. Meguairs M26 has some natural carnauba and synthetic waxes in it. Consequently, it will offer a superior deep gloss but it will not last as long as UW.

Ralph

Comment

Haha, thanks man, but I promise, I'm not THAT knowledgeable. I just read things on here as much as I can and study as much as I can. I got into doing the waterless wash because where I live in NM we have some of the hardest water in the country. I did go and buy the AutoGeek 2-Stage Inline Canister set with the water filter and water softener, but I can only wash my mitts so often so I need something else that I can do when needed that will not destroy the paint. Also, I frequently end up having to work in the sun because I just run out of time, and the Waterless is the only product I see that specifically says you can use it in the sun. And good to know more info on the ULW vs M26. I'll have to really think about how often I'm able to get out there and get a coat of wax on before using the M26 as much as I would love to have that super deep gloss.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');