• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I prevent water spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I prevent water spots?

Hi,
    I washed our dark green car yesterday. It was easy to wash because it had a nice coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Wax on it. The water beaded and it looked like it was going to come out great.

The thing is, the car is a Ford Transit long wheelbase medium roof vehicle so it's sort of huge and even though it was easy to wash I was left feeling worn out after washing it from top to bottom.

I left it to drip dry and now I have thousands of light water spots all over it. I just tried washing them out with Ultimate Detailer and it helped, with a lot of scrubbing effort, but there are faint remains of most of the spots.

I realize now that I should not have let it drip dry, but I am also curious if there was some special treatment I could have added to the rinse water to minimize the spotting.

The water I use is from our well and run through the same treatment system we use for drinking and household duties. It does not seem especially hard but it isn't soft either.

Thank you.

Re: How can I prevent water spots?

You could invest in a filtration system to help, but without spending a good chunk of money on it, you'd still need to physically dry it to prevent water spots.

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks. I found some portable water softeners, advertised as being purpose built for washing cars, boats, and RVs.

I am wondering if this would eliminate the need for hand drying.

I have owned cars for 40+ years but this is my first dark colored vehicle. I guess I never new the other cars had water spots.

Comment

If you have a good coat of wax on it as you say, next time after the wash, take the nozzle off the hose, and gently run the water top to bottom. Most of the water will sheet off. There is not much left om my black cars after, and what is left, I blow it off with a little cheap electric leaf blower, and then blot any leftover water with a dry towel. Never have hard water spots, and our water is extremely hard. You can almost chew the minerals in it.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');