• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustrated by swirls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated by swirls

Black car, few scratches.

i used ultimate compound on the scratch areas that ultimate polish didn’t help on. I noticed swirls started so I decided to stop using the ultimate compound and went right to polish. Low and behold my car is covered in swirls now.

i washed the car and clay barred prior.

using meguiars DA system with the pads it recommends for each product.

Please advise

Re: Frustrated by swirls

Also I used a meguiars microfiber towel to remove. Tried applying products by hand as well and still have the same results

Comment

First, Ultimate Polish is not a product used for correction, it's a glaze. It uses oils to fill in maring on the paint.

Really difficult to say with knowing very limited information. There were swirls before you used the DA and there were swirls afterward? If so, it sounds like there was no correction. I'd first ask how you were using the DA and what pads you were using. Pads are recommended based on the amount of paint damage, hardness of paint and type of polish being used.

Look over this list:

You'd want to start with a foam polishing pad but if that is not enough, switch to a foam cutting pad. People swear by M101 but personally, I like Ultimate Compound better. It has almost as much cutting power but i find it can be worked longer than M101. I almost always use it with a polishing pad. If you use UC or M101 with a cutting pad, you may very well need to follow up with a less abrasive polish and a polishing or finishing pad. A heavy cut _can_ leave slight swirls on the paint. Again, you need to do some testing.

When you use the DA you want to mark the pad and make sure it's always spinning. If it's not spinning, it's not working. You many very well need to apply _less_ pressure to get it to spin more quickly and this actually gives more cutting power. Make sure the pads are clean and well primed with product before you use them.

Comment

Thank you for the reply,

there were no or minimal swirls when i started. I only used UC where there were scratches but had swirls so I stopped using it. I applied ultimate polish to the whole car, which created swirls. I went slow in my movements, I also tried running the machine slower and had the same results. I know it

Comment

Thank you for the reply,

there were no or minimal swirls when i started. I only used UC where there were scratches but had swirls so I stopped using it. I applied ultimate polish to the whole car, which created swirls. I went slow in my movements, I also tried running the machine slower and had the same results. I know it

Comment

[QUOTE=RX300;583558]Black car, few scratches.

i used ultimate compound on the scratch areas that ultimate polish didn
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Lets try this again. This forum is funny at times.

Originally posted by RX300 View Post
              Black car, few scratches.

i used ultimate compound on the scratch areas that ultimate polish didn’t help on. I noticed swirls started so I decided to stop using the ultimate compound and went right to polish. Low and behold my car is covered in swirls now.

i washed the car and clay barred prior.

using meguiars DA system with the pads it recommends for each product.

Please advise
              It sounds like a technique issue. Could we get some more information.

What type of car?

What pads?

What polisher?

Also photos would help of what you are working with.

Also I used a meguiars microfiber towel to remove. Tried applying products by hand as well and still have the same results
              There are limitations by hand. A dual action polisher will net better results.

Originally posted by tcope1 View Post
              First, Ultimate Polish is not a product used for correction, it's a glaze. It uses oils to fill in maring on the paint.
              This is not true. Ultimate Polish is an abrasive polish derived from M205. The difference between the two is that M205 offers more correction where UP offers more polishing oils. UP can definitely be used to correct minor to moderate defects depending on how the paint responds.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

2010 Chrysler 300. Used the pads (compound/polishwax pads) that go with the meguiars da power system that attaches to a drill. I used the DA and by hand with same results

Comment

2010 Chrysler 300. Used the pads (compound/polishwax pads) that go with the meguiars da power system that attaches to a drill. I used the DA and by hand with same results
                  The DA power system is good but it is still limited to the results it can produce. If the defects are deep then you may run into an issue. Same if the paint is on the harder side.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

I finished putting wax on it tonight. I have to drive it tomorrow and was afraid to leave it in the elements at work with just polish and compound on it. I have two days off starting Tuesday to try and figure this out. I’m assuming the polish will cut through the wax I applied? Should I try swirl x? Don’t really have the $$ for a better rotary right now

Comment

Also I will get pictures tomorrow and post them here for better reference

Comment

You can get a dual action polisher for cheap. Learn on that first and then you can learn the rotary later.

Also it would be fine if the paint was left unprotected. The clear coat is still there.

Check out this thread on the aggressiveness of the products. UP would be to the right of M205.

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');