• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newby1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby1

Hello. I have never done any automotive painting until this project. Someone hit my car. I just finished repairing the front fender of my 2001 Buick LeSabre, medium blue(417g) I found a cheap bumper at Pick N Pull for $65 with matching paint. However, I had no luck finding a good fender. For this reason, I decided to purchase a new, unpainted fender online. I found one for $51.94. I bought aerosol primer, basecoat and clear coat from Automotivetouchup.com. I followed instructions provided on their site. It looks good for my first attempt...but my fender is somewhat darker than the rest of the vehicle. That is background for my 2 questions:

1) What Meguiar's compounds and/or polishing products do I use on this fender? I have heard about 3 step process using compounds and polishing agents, beginning with rougher course stuff then moving to more gentle or finer cuts in the final 2 steps. Also heard about using the least aggressive products first to see if the desired result can be achieved without overworking the a new paint job. I want to know if I need 205, 105, 83, etc. so I can know what exactly to buy to finalize this project. I also need to know about buffers and which pads to buy to use with which product.

2) Is there a technique or product that can help to make my slightly darker fender a little lighter in appearance to blend with the rest of the car? Side not: this car has only 51k miles and is really nice.
    Thanks and I appreciate any advice I can get.

Newby1
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');