• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car

I am taking delivery of a new car which wa build maybe a few weeks ago. Based on the weather, I will not be able to full detail the car.

I will put tint and clear bra as soon as possible. If there is overspray on the new car, can I remove them in early spring?

Re: New Car

Yeah, just don't put the clear bra on first if you haven't clayed that part, obviously.

Comment

Congrats on a new build. When you take delivery you'll be able to determine if there is overspray or not. If there is any evidence of overspray, use a clean piece of clay with very light pressure and plenty of QD and it should come right off.

I recently took delivery of a new black car and the paint was in extremely good condition with no evidence of overspray. I was hesitant to apply anything to the new paint and possibly introducing swirls. I used Quick Detailer where there was some dust and then applied Ultimate Fast Finish with a the new MF cloth included in the box. I achieved even more protection, gloss and slickness without any swirls. The car will mostly be garaged over the Colorado winter and I'm expecting the UFF will provide protection until spring.

Comment

There is no need to be concerned about applying wax to a new car. The paint is baked on at the factory. and many of the panels are painted well before the actuial assembly. I would not put the clear bra on until you have verified that the paint is smooth and claying is not needed. Simply do the little baggy test. I will bet you will find it needs to be clayed. If so take the steps needed to at least prep the area where to clear brs will be.

Comment

Please remind me of the baggy test.

Also, if there is overspray, would it be harder to remove next spring?

Comment

Wash the car and dry it. Then get a small plastic bag such as a sandwich bag and put your hand in it. Then gently run it over the surface of the car. If you feel any roughness a (and I can almost bet you will) the car needs to be clayed. If you are going to drive the car throughout the winter, then yes clay it if need and then get a good coat of wax on it. If it will sit in a garage, then no it won't make a difference.

Comment

I am curious. They put the clear bra on bare surface, right? I recall they used soap to clean the surface first.

The dealership will wax the car before delivery. I asked my salesman already and they don

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
                I am taking delivery of a new car which wa build maybe a few weeks ago. Based on the weather, I will not be able to full detail the car.

I will put tint and clear bra as soon as possible. If there is overspray on the new car, can I remove them in early spring?
                Congrats on the new car.

Be sure the finish is swirl free before putting the clear bra on. You want the best possible finish prior to locking in the condition of the paint.

My recommendation would be to inspect the paint prior to doing anything. If you do have to clay just be aware that you may marr the surface which may require a cleaner wax/AIO or a polish and protect.

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
                I am curious. They put the clear bra on bare surface, right? I recall they used soap to clean the surface first.

The dealership will wax the car before delivery. I asked my salesman already and they don
                You will want to strip that wax off prior to applying the clear bra. The reason is for the adhesive to stick to the paint.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

As part of the delivery process, the dealership will prepare the car and this would include waxing (not clay). Not sure what kind of products they use.

Not sure if this would look strange, I am thinking to provide them with Meguiars clay bar kit and Ultimate Liquid Wax. I am concerned that this might offend them!

Comment

You can ask them to not touch it or detail it.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                      You can ask them to not touch it or detail it.
                      Based on the weather, I am not sure if I can detail the car. Also, I am sure they will not reduce the preparation charge if no wax.

Fast question. During the manufacturing process, when do they paint the car? I would think they paint the panels individually early on and assemble them together at the end, right?

I ask because the car is a 2018 model. They are built some 100KM from my location and the car just arrived in the dealership last week.

Comment

There is no need to worry about the fresh paint as it goes through a different process.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Do the dealership wax the car before a new car delivery?

Comment

If you perform a baggy test and determine there is overspray, why wait for spring to clay? Your new car should be very clean and claying is easy to apply and doesn't take too long. Typically overspray will be most prevalent on top, horizontal surfaces. Go ahead and test on an inconspicuous surface to get comfortable that you aren't causing any damage. I'd bet you'll be surprised how safe it is and how slick the surface will be! Consider UFF to finish it all off.

Comment

Originally posted by GmbH-Quiver View Post
                              If you perform a baggy test and determine there is overspray, why wait for spring to clay? Your new car should be very clean and claying is easy to apply and doesn't take too long. Typically overspray will be most prevalent on top, horizontal surfaces. Go ahead and test on an inconspicuous surface to get comfortable that you aren't causing any damage. I'd bet you'll be surprised how safe it is and how slick the surface will be! Consider UFF to finish it all off.
                              I clayed many time with my current car.
                              As part of the delivery process, the dealership will wax the car. I asked already and they would not clay. Too bad the weather does not permit med to do the clay and wax myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');