Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Car

Registered Member

Re: New Car

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You can ask them to not touch it or detail it.
    Based on the weather, I am not sure if I can detail the car. Also, I am sure they will not reduce the preparation charge if no wax.

Fast question. During the manufacturing process, when do they paint the car? I would think they paint the panels individually early on and assemble them together at the end, right?

I ask because the car is a 2018 model. They are built some 100KM from my location and the car just arrived in the dealership last week.

There is no need to worry about the fresh paint as it goes through a different process.

Registered Member

Do the dealership wax the car before a new car delivery?

Registered Member

If you perform a baggy test and determine there is overspray, why wait for spring to clay? Your new car should be very clean and claying is easy to apply and doesn't take too long. Typically overspray will be most prevalent on top, horizontal surfaces. Go ahead and test on an inconspicuous surface to get comfortable that you aren't causing any damage. I'd bet you'll be surprised how safe it is and how slick the surface will be! Consider UFF to finish it all off.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH-Quiver View Post
    If you perform a baggy test and determine there is overspray, why wait for spring to clay? Your new car should be very clean and claying is easy to apply and doesn't take too long. Typically overspray will be most prevalent on top, horizontal surfaces. Go ahead and test on an inconspicuous surface to get comfortable that you aren't causing any damage. I'd bet you'll be surprised how safe it is and how slick the surface will be! Consider UFF to finish it all off.
    I clayed many time with my current car.
    As part of the delivery process, the dealership will wax the car. I asked already and they would not clay. Too bad the weather does not permit med to do the clay and wax myself.

Registered Member

My salesman got back to me. He replied "Everyone at the dealer has notified me that to not put clay on a brand new car.".
    What do they know? LOL.

I probably have to give up. I will just clay the front portion in the tints store before they apply the clear film!

Registered Member

Talked to the tints store, they will clay the front of the car before putting clear film.

I will do the full detailing when weather permits, maybe next spring.

Registered Member

Picked up the new car today. Not sure if I am fortunately or not, I don

Quote Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
    Wash the car and dry it. Then get a small plastic bag such as a sandwich bag and put your hand in it. Then gently run it over the surface of the car. If you feel any roughness a (and I can almost bet you will) the car needs to be clayed.
    I've never quite understood what the purpose of the sandwich bag is though? Why can't you just lightly run your fingertips along the finish to feel how smooth it is? I would think that's more gentle on the paint than running something made of plastic on it (even if it's thin)

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    I've never quite understood what the purpose of the sandwich bag is though? Why can't you just lightly run your fingertips along the finish to feel how smooth it is? I would think that's more gentle on the paint than running something made of plastic on it (even if it's thin)
    It enhances the sense of touch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information