• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the right process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the right process?

So about a month ago I ended up purchasing a new car as my old daily driver was beginning to show her age. I actually have not had time to clean it since picking it up but the weather has been kind to me in the mean time. So what I'm looking to do is a full detail and protect. I've noticed a few very light swirls in some spots so I'm thinking my process will be, based on the products I already have:

Rinseless wash with D114.
    Clay bar the whole thing.
    Ultimate Polish the entire car using a DA.
    Ultimate Liquid Wax using the DA.
    Take the wheels off to clean them completely, protect with Ultimate Fast Finish and use Blackfire to dress the tires.
    For the interior it just needs a quick vacuum, wipe down with some interior detailer and I have ultimate protectant for it as well. Seats are cloth and leather, so at some point I need to get some leather conditioner.
    After letting the ULW cure for awhile I was thinking of topping it with the UFF.

It's my daily driver, i work in a manufacturing plant, and birds have taken a liking to my parking spot I've noticed. Would this process be good for protecting my car so that I can limit to mainly weekly maintenance washes for a month or two? Is there something obvious I'm forgetting?

Re: Is this the right process?

You've got the basics right, but if you're gathering bird poo like you say, you don't want it sitting on your paint for a month or two regardless of the sealant that's on the car.

Bird poo = full car wash as soon as is practical, not a rinseless.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

The results, mostly.
      gallery
      I have not topped the ULW with UFF yet as I was under the assumption that the ULW should be allowed a certain amount of time to bond first.

Things I can say I learned. The front end is not friendly to a rinseless wash with the grill as well as all the other little nooks and angles. Will have to figure out some kind of solution for that.
      After moving the car out into the sun, it looks like I managed to get the lovely dealer installed swirl marks out of the top of the trunk with just a light application of ultimate polish. I liked the color of the car before, have to say I like it even more now with a little work put into it.
      For first time using a DA, starting from whatever condition the dealer left it in when I picked it up combined with 900 miles worth of bug guts, I think it turned out pretty well.
      A few things I'm not sure on. The front end eats bugs like a venus fly trap, and there are lots of little annoying spots for them to get into. What would be the best solution there? Pressure washer to the front end? The whole thing took about 3.5 hours start to finish, hopefully the routine washes coming up with be much quicker.

Comment

I used the UFF on top of ULW the last time I detailed completely. Not sure about it.. I may try the reverse order this time.

Some Quick Detailer or similar and a cloth in your car may be a good idea...

nooks and crannies are always tricky.. I like the wet fabric softener sheet for dealing with bugs, and then washing after. Maybe a sheet plus a pen or something to get it into the nooks.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');