• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl marks still visible after a detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl marks still visible after a detail

Hi everyone, we recently completed a detail on a car that was in need of some gloss restoration. The paint had some kind of substance all over it and the gloss was completely gone. After doing a test spot, I settled on M80 Speed Glaze using a Flex3401 machine on a polishing pad. The results were great and the gloss was restored, however, I did notice visible swirl marks all over the paint surface. The customer only wanted and paid for the gloss to be restored and was happy with the results, however, I do wonder why we could not remove more of the swirl marks in the paint? Please see the before and after shots below.

BEFORE:

50/50

AFTER:

SWIRL MARKS STILL VISIBLE:

Re: Swirl marks still visible after a detail

M80 is a fairly mild polish and simply doesn't offer enough bite to do complete correction for moderate to severe defects. Those swirls looks fairly extensive, so that probably would have been better suited with either a two-step process starting with a compound, or a more aggressive AIO like the new D166 Ultra Polishing Wax.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mark. When you say 2-step process, would that be compound and then straight to a wax like M66 Quick Detailer, or would you still need the polishing step in between?

Comment

It depends on how the paint reacts to the compound, if it clears up without haze, you're good to go with a wax, if not, then a polish is in order before the wax. As is, you did a number on that paint - it was trashed.
        Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"
        2013 Camaro ... triple black
        323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

mmmm.. i see, k thanks guys.. adding it to my lessons learned box

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X