• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Wax, and sectionalizing a detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Wax, and sectionalizing a detail

Evening all,

First of all I apologize for bringing this up again, but most of the threads I searched through were older and I wanted to ask again incase a new product existed.

I want to remove the existing wax from my vehicle prior to polishing. I've read a few different articles suggesting that the layer of protectants would interfere with the polishes ability to do work. Also, since I just purchased the vehicle I'd just like to start fresh with my own sealant (my buddy gave me a bottle of blackfire all paint protectant).

So, what is the best way to remove wax from a vehicle? Is it even really necessary to do so prior to polishing? I would prefer something over the counter if possible, my wife is growing weary of my online vehicle detailing purchases .

Second question. Due to weather, work, family, etc... I'm having a hard time nailing down a 5+ hour period to detail my entire car. I was toying around with the idea of doing a 1-2 panels a day. It's still my daily driver so I recognize that I would have to re-clean the panels again prior to going to work on them. Is there any major draw back to doing this? I just don't want to half-*** it because I run out of time.

You all have been a fantastic source of information and entertainment. I appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions!

Have a good night!

Phil

Re: Removing Wax, and sectionalizing a detail

Hey Phil,

I ran into the same issue last year... no time for a full detail. I broke it up into three parts, top and sides. I used a rinse less wash(d114), clay, compound/polish(m205) and then wax about an hour plus each third. worked out fine for me.

A cleaner polish will remove the existing wax.

Good luck
    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Wirednuke83 View Post
      Evening all,

First of all I apologize for bringing this up again, but most of the threads I searched through were older and I wanted to ask again incase a new product existed.

I want to remove the existing wax from my vehicle prior to polishing. I've read a few different articles suggesting that the layer of protectants would interfere with the polishes ability to do work. Also, since I just purchased the vehicle I'd just like to start fresh with my own sealant (my buddy gave me a bottle of blackfire all paint protectant).

So, what is the best way to remove wax from a vehicle? Is it even really necessary to do so prior to polishing? I would prefer something over the counter if possible, my wife is growing weary of my online vehicle detailing purchases .
      Claying will degrade whatever was put onto the paint. You have the option to follow up with a polish or with a cleaner wax. Claying will leave some marring that either of those products will remove. Either of those steps will remove the wax that was on the paint.

Originally posted by Wirednuke83 View Post
      Second question. Due to weather, work, family, etc... I'm having a hard time nailing down a 5+ hour period to detail my entire car. I was toying around with the idea of doing a 1-2 panels a day. It's still my daily driver so I recognize that I would have to re-clean the panels again prior to going to work on them. Is there any major draw back to doing this? I just don't want to half-*** it because I run out of time.
      It is perfectly fine to work panel by panel.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

If one wanted, APC can be diluted down to 20:1 and used with a regular wash solution to de-wax. I prefer clay or paint cleaner, depending what I'm doing.

Comment

After talking to a few different people, and reading a few other post. I ended up buying a bottle of griots paint prep. Ultimate Compound/M205 will probably take care of the cleaning. If anything, maybe it'll make my pads foul up a little slower.

Thanks for the advice!

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            Claying will degrade whatever was put onto the paint. You have the option to follow up with a polish or with a cleaner wax. Claying will leave some marring that either of those products will remove. Either of those steps will remove the wax that was on the paint.
            If his goal is to start fresh by removing any pre existing wax prior to laying down his Blackfire sealant, then he's not going to want to use a cleaner wax for his polish step.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
              If his goal is to start fresh by removing any pre existing wax prior to laying down his Blackfire sealant, then he's not going to want to use a cleaner wax for his polish step.
              Folks top cleaner waxes all the time. So nothing really new on that topic. Of course it's best to polish and then seal to get the maximum benefit of a stand alone sealant.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                Folks top cleaner waxes all the time. So nothing really new on that topic. Of course it's best to polish and then seal to get the maximum benefit of a stand alone sealant.
                Nothing new to add, except that is what I do. Cleaner wax #6 and then UW. Works well. Occasionally I will use UP, but I find #6 easier to work with.

Comment

Well, I started working on it. Got the car cleaned using a rinseless wash (ONR, I live in a condo). I felt the paint and thought it was pretty smooth, but decided to try the baggy truck. Holy ****! What a difference, it was like running my fingers over 400 grit sand paper. Obviously the previous owner never clayed it. I started claying the hood using mothers clay kit, but after one good pass it’s much smoother but there’s still quite a bit of bumpiness. Should I get a hold of some medium grade clay, or just keep making passes with the fine?

Also, it’s looking like I’m not going to have time to polish today. I should be okay until the morning without waxing again right?

Thanks for all your help! I will say I notice a difference just after claying.

Phil

Comment

I have use Dawn with a few ounces of Alcohol and finished it off with clay. Polish and finally wax. Mine is not a daily driver and kept in a garage and covered most of the down time so I do see a need to seal it.

Comment

I'd keep going with the clay you have. Sounds like it's just a bunch of built up crud. Constantly knead the clay and go until the panel is smooth. You'll be fine for a night without wax.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                        I'd keep going with the clay you have. Sounds like it's just a bunch of built up crud. Constantly knead the clay and go until the panel is smooth. You'll be fine for a night without wax.
                        Yep, I kept at it... Managed to get the hood smooth. Polished 3/4 of the hood with M205, and then my wife got called into work early. I didn't have much marring/swirling to begin with, but it actually removed quite a few of the rock chips and rock related scratches on the parts I went over. It's less than ideal to stop halfway, but I can't let my toddlers run amuck while I polish my car lol. My wife is taking the kids to her mom's tomorrow so I have a good 8-10 hours to work on it. Hopefully I can get most of the car done.

Do you have any tips for polishing relatively sharp corners on panels? (if you look at the hood on a Taurus SHO it has quite a few angular parts)

Learned two lessons today: 1) I didn't buy enough M205, and 2) Don't pick up the polisher while it's still spinning... lost a good half an hour on that cleanup.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

For sharp angles, I try to use the buffer in a direction where I can avoid, if possible, going over the edge as much as possible. Polish up to the edge without "rolling over." Not always possible, but if it is a big concern, you could do your best with the polisher and go to working by hand around the edge.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');