• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to paint correction, couple questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to paint correction, couple questions.

Good Evening all!

I recently purchased a magnetic metallic grey 2015 Ford Taurus SHO. The paint seems to be in decent shape, there are a few scratches here and there, around the handles and on the trunk. There are also multiple rock chips on the front end of the car. I'm not sure if the metallic paint is just covering it up, but I don't see any major swirling either. My goal is to attempt to remove the scratches, polish it up, and seal the paint before winter strikes.

This week I purchased a Porter Cable 7424, and it came with M105, M205 and a set of Meguiars pads. I have a couple of questions before I attempt to clean up the paint.

1) Much of the car is in pretty good shape, but I wanted to use the M205 and a fine pad and try and maximize the shine. Should I use a finishing pad, or the polishing pad that came with the kit?

2) Some areas have scratches, is it okay to use heavier compounds on isolated parts of the car? I'm worried about making the finish look patchy. I was even thinking of just using M205 with a cutting pad to keep from being too aggressive.

3) I've watched quite a few youtube videos on polishing. The one thing that isn't that clear to me is how long you polish until you wipe the product off? It should go until the abrasive breaks down and it lightens up, correct?

Thanks for asking my newbie questions. I just don't want to end up like some of the other guys that post here with trashed paint jobs after they got a little over zealous!

Phil

Re: New to paint correction, couple questions.

Welcome to MOL.

I would actually recommend picking up some ultimate compound. It is much more user friendly than M105. M105 has a slight learning curve that can be a bit frustrating for someone starting out. Ultimate Compound is derived from M105.

Also Meguiar's polishes are non-diminishing so they don't break down like a diminishing abrasive.

To answer your questions:

1. Try M205 with a polishing pad and go from there. About 5 section passes is a good start.

2. It is ok to spot compound if M205 does not get it out.

3. Wath these videos to learn more

Same concept but just a different machine

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention I also picked up the ultimate products. I read some other post that suggested they were milder. I still think I like the idea of going with a test spot of m205 and see how it goes.

Thanks for the video links!

phil

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
        Welcome to MOL.

I would actually recommend picking up some ultimate compound. It is much more user friendly than M105. M105 has a slight learning curve that can be a bit frustrating for someone starting out. Ultimate Compound is derived from M105.

Also Meguiar's polishes are non-diminishing so they don't break down like a diminishing abrasive.

To answer your questions:

1. Try M205 with a polishing pad and go from there. About 5 section passes is a good start.

2. It is ok to spot compound if M205 does not get it out.
        Guz, I was just curious. Is M205 a "finishing polish" or is there something I should pick up to burnish the paint after I go over it with the M205?

Phil

Comment

M205 and Ultimate Polish are both finishing polishes. M205 will offer slightly more cut than UP, while UP will offer more polishing oils. Both are pretty versatile. You can stop after this and use your favorite wax or sealant.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Good deal, do you think I would gain any refinement from going over it with 205 and a finishing pad?

Thanks for answering all my nub questions.

Comment

M205 finishes out nicely on most paints so no reason to go back over it with a finishing pad. If the paint is soft then that is where M205 does not finish out well. You should not have any issues on the Ford paint.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

I did not see clay in your list of purchased products.
                Be sure to check the surface to see if it has any bonded surface contaminants. If so you will want to clay the panel (hood, fender, top) before polishing or compounding. You do not want to have those break loose and act like sandpaper should they get caught in thee pad. There is a good video on clay use in the How-To Video Forum on this site.

Comment

"There are a few scratches here and there, around the handles"

If the area is flat and you can keep your DA spinning, then use it.
                  It may be better to use a small pad by hand to do around the door handles. Especially if they where put there by keys, rings, diamonds or the really big video shopping special cubic zirconia.

Maybe another poster will recommend the best type of hand applicator pad for M205/UP.

Comment

I did buy clay, forgot to mention that. I should be able to include the scratches by the handle in one of my 2x2 areas. The only ones I might have to do by hand are on the spoiler.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');