• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALL tire dressings cause dry rot, premature tire failure !!???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALL tire dressings cause dry rot, premature tire failure !!???

I have been shopping for tires for the Camaro and have gone a few different places to have them evaluate my current tires to see if they are is as bad of shape as I think. Yesterday, I went to a huge, non-chain tire store and after being asked just how much dressing I used on the tires (I applied a thin layer of Meguiar's Endurance Gel last Sunday and it still looks freshly applied), they told me that ALL tire dressings cause damage, typically dry-rot, prematurely.

Now I know that some of the older dressings from the 70's and 80's have a bad rep, but I thought most modern dressings no longer had that issue, with some working to protect the rubber. I for one can say that I've never had that issue (that I can remember), but then I always wore the tire out before they would get to the point where dry rot started, but now I'm starting to wonder.

So what's the general opinion on modern tire/rubber dressings?

BTW, my current tires ARE severely dry rotted!
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Re: ALL tire dressings cause dry rot, premature tire failure !!???

I would offer up that whomever told you that is wrong. Most tire manufactures include chemicals in their tires to fight dry rot, and you may notice some brands that tend to have a brown hue to them, and this is called blooming. Having used tire dressings - different brands, gels and foaming - for years, I never experienced dry rot. Maybe it is an issue with the cheaper tires, less resistance to dry rot, but in my experience and opinion, tire dressings are not the cause.

Comment

FWIW: the last set of tires on my truck were on there for about 12 years and had tire dressing on them a good deal of that time. They showed 0 indication of "damage."

Comment

Personally I don't think it's the dressing... I think it's the strong cleaners that people use to get that thick **** (like gels) off of their tires after it picks up all of that dirt and grime. People coat their tires because they look nice for a few days and then use harsh chemicals to remove it. This also removes the chemicals that are added to the tire to protect it.

I use and love Hyperdressing. Its water based and seems to soak into the tire. None the less, when you spray water into the tire you can see it wash right off. It does not cake up like other dressings.

Comment

Originally posted by tcope1 View Post
          Personally I don't think it's the dressing... I think it's the strong cleaners that people use to get that thick **** (like gels) off of their tires after it picks up all of that dirt and grime. People coat their tires because they look nice for a few days and then use harsh chemicals to remove it. This also removes the chemicals that are added to the tire to protect it.

I use and love Hyperdressing. Its water based and seems to soak into the tire. None the less, when you spray water into the tire you can see it wash right off. It does not cake up like other dressings.
          I've just started using Meg's ENDURANCE Tire Gel. My first application has been on a week, driven in the rain and the dirt just wipes off with a finger, leaving a nice gloss behind. So it doesn't look like I'll be needing any harsh cleaners.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');