• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick spray waxes build up for longer life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick spray waxes build up for longer life?

Quick quick wax question... Will either or both Ultimate Quick Wax or Gold Class Qiuck Wax "build up"? Like will more applications over top of each other, say a day apart, leave a thicker wax barrier that will last longer? Thanks!

Re: Quick spray waxes build up for longer life?

To keep the answer simple: no. You really only apply two coats of wax to ensure even and complete coverage. Even with regular paste and liquid waxes, they don't build up into a thicker coating. Only so much sticks to the paint. The spray waxes are designed to help boost the existing protection on the paint; not replace it.

Comment

Cool, thanks. I didn't know if doing it every couple days would do much or not.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
        The spray waxes are designed to help boost the existing protection on the paint; not replace it.
        I disagree with that. ^
        Just take a close look at the directions on the back label of Ultimate Quik Wax, D156, etc. and you'll find nothing about it working to boost your existing layer of paste wax. Not even a hint in that regard.. You say that only so much can stick to the paint, meaning 1 can't just keep layering coats of sealant right? So why would a spray wax be so different and be able to rest on top of a layer of liquid or paste wax? That doesn't make any sense...

If using Ultimate Paste Wax over Ultimate Liquid Wax removes the liquid wax, then the same rules should apply to Ultimate Quik Wax. Or do you really believe things are that much different just because Ultimate Quik Wax is in liquid form? It doesn't matter, they're all stand alone sealants.

Comment

I said "no," waxes cannot be layered. How are you gathering I implied spray waxes could then be layered? UQW will help refresh (boost and maintain) existing protection and extend the life. I described it the exact same way QW/UQW have been described on these forums since Meguiar's released them. It just so happens Ultimate Quik Wax is a robust spray wax and will leave some protection behind that will last a little bit. Perhaps you are otherhinking it a bit? Technically, waxes layer to a (microscopic) point. However, you can't keep adding layer after layer until you get a 1 inch think layer of wax built up on the paint. At some point, you are going to hit diminishing returns and it just won't add to the protection anymore. As you wash and detail your car, the barrier of wax is slowly degraded and subsequently removed. The spray wax can help boost the protection by partially replacing some of the lost protection. It's the same idea as adding another coat of whatever wax you want every so often. Why do you do that? To replenish the protection. UQW does the same thing; it just doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
            I said "no," waxes cannot be layered. How are you gathering I implied spray waxes could then be layered? UQW will help refresh (boost and maintain) existing protection and extend the life.
            I think you misunderstood me, which is understandable considering the title of this thread... But no, I did not at all mean to imply that at all.

What I said was that spray sealant such as Ultimate Quik Wax can't be used as a "booster" on top of Ultimate Liquid or Paste Wax without degrading it and or completely removing it and sooner or later [depending on how strong the base layer was at time of applying UQW] leaving you with 1 layer of protection and not 2 like so many people like to believe.

This is solely my opinion based on having tested these products and observing the results. I understand that this opinion will go against the grain and goes against what's been posted on forums for quite a long time by many people and I don't mean to discount anybody's word or proclaim what's right or wrong...

But there's several things I can point to that simply don't add up as far as UQW/D156 somehow "boosting" or "extending" your base layer of protection i.e. sealant or wax...

1. Have you ever seen the short lasting protection [compared to a liquid/paste sealant] of a spray wax such as UQW fade away and reveal the base layer that it was serving to protect/extend/serve as a sacrificial layer to? Has anyone ever described seeing beading go weak only to reveal the fierce beading of the base layer underneath? I sure haven't, and I've never seen or heard anyone else talk about that.

2. Reason why no one has ever described that behavior on their paint is because the spray wax removes or at the very least eventually transforms whatever wax or sealant you've got going into it. Once you apply the spray wax, you can kiss any characteristics your base layer once had goodbye, because you're not going to revisit them again at a later time once the spray wax wears off... Instead you'll be left with no protection once the spray wax wears off, meaning you didn't actually boost or extend the base layer, you ended and replaced it with the new sealant [UQW]

You're right about UQW not lasting quite as long yet still being quite respectable for what it is.. But I disagree with it serving as a booster or extending the base layer of protection. I am convinced it removes and replaces it.

.... And yes, I sometimes overthink this sort of stuff, but I love detailing so I enjoy it.

Comment

I gotcha now, and to be honest, I never thought of it like that! I'm interested in hearing from Meguiar's in that regards as I'm far from a chemist. Interesting take on it for sure! I only ever use it while drying my cars off. I've tried it as a stand alone once and got way to many streaks, regardless of how I applied it.

Now I'm going to have to go apply some UFF on the car I just washed this morning, just in case, haha.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');