• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOOB Qs - Festool Shinex and general Qs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOOB Qs - Festool Shinex and general Qs

Ok so when I say I'm a noob I literally means I dodn't remember any car I've owned. Always been drive through car wash places. Mostly because my cars were bought used and frankly never nice enough to warrant anything better. Well I finally treated myself to a new Tundra (and my first ever new car/truck). So after finding out what a detailing service costs, and even what the nicer car wash places charge I quickly made the decision to do it myself.

I'm a long time woodworker and have been a big fan of Festool woodworking tools. So when it came to getting a ra polisher I decided to get a Shinex. For any of you who have one, did you get the Festool pads or another brand? Any significant differences?

General questions.
    1. How much downward pressure should you put. I know in woodworking, you always let the sander do the work and put minimal pressure. Is it the same for polishers?
    2. How do you know which pads to start with?
    3. How do you know when it's time to get a new clay bar?
    4. I had planned on washing, claying, and waxing the truck this weekend but something came up and I only had time to wash completely and clay one side. I was thinking of finishing it this afternoon. Do I have to start over completely or can I use quick detailer, finish claying, and wax?

Re: NOOB Qs - Festool Shinex and general Qs

It looks like that is a rotary polisher? In my opinion, not the easiest machine to begin learning with. I can't help with the polisher portion as I still don't have a rotary. As for question 3, typically when the clay bar can no longer be kneaded to produce a clean spot, it's too dirty to keep using. The other time would be if it falls on the ground or gets a bunch of dirt on it (from say claying a missed/unwashed spot). Break the new clay bar into several pieces just in case any of the above happens. You can then just grab a new piece and continue on instead of throwing all of it away and having to buy more. Question 4: after you properly clean the surface, however you can accomplish that, you can pick up where you left off. If time is short, work on one panel at a time and try to complete the whole process and then move on so you aren't leaving everything else unprotected.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');