• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Car show finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Car show finish

Hello everyone,

Recently i've been doing some detailing jobs at home, mostly for my family and friends and since the "new" ceramic coatings have arrived im trying to finish the paint to a car show finish as the title says, however im able to remove most deffects, swirls, oxidation, but i'm having a big trouble with micromarring, this is what im doing and the results im getting.

Lest begin for what i own and i can make us of:

Electrical tools:

- GG 6" DA polisher
    - Black and decker (yea i know -_-) rotative Polisher

Pads:

- Foam, burgundry, yellow, light pink (the old finish pad for meguiar's) in i guess 6" velcro but in 8-9" the whole pad (the oldest pads)
    - Foam yellow meguiar's polishing pad (DFP6) i guess it is.
    - Microfiber 6" Cutting pad for DA
    - 3M wool pad
    - some soft pads (really soft) that came with the GG polisher, i have no clue what brand are they but, they are really soft and i use them to wax or to finish.
    - Hand foam pads

MF towels:

A lot of yellow Costco MF towels, some viking towels, i have a very big variety of towels

Compound/polish liquids:

- Meguiars m100, m205, m83, m80, scratch X 2.0, ultimate polish
    - 3M hand glaze and polish (step 2 and 3), rubbing compound (the cheap one)

Taking this example a 2016 mini copper (but all the cars i'm doing in metalic or dark colored cars has the same issue), if you take a look with medium light, it's close to perfect ,even in direct sun light you can see it with nice finish, however if you look it closer and in certain angle you can see some very very light swirls, i have checked more than twice and the towel and the removing process of compound or polish is not the problem, I'm pretty sure the problem is here: my technique, lacking a product, or both, most heavy deffects im using DA with MF cutting pad and m100, sometimes m205 again with mf cutting pad.

These are a few examples:

- Audi a3 Shiraz red, those "white" lines in the middle of the hood are the deffect im telling you

Mini cooper 2016, take a closer look to the image and you will see

Watching this, you think everything is ok

But if you take a closer look, then you will find some nasty deffect still there.

This is a video i found over youtube, with a guy having the same deffect.

Any tutorial out there, will be a lot of help.

Thank you all.

Re: Help with Car show finish

This pic looks like some serious defects, are you SURE you are working the cutting/polishing steps long enough to rid the paint of all the defects? What you MIGHT be seeing is the remnants of defects that you have FADED by polishing, but not REMOVED
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Re: Help with Car show finish

Originally posted by Don View Post

This pic looks like some serious defects, are you SURE you are working the cutting/polishing steps long enough to rid the paint of all the defects? What you MIGHT be seeing is the remnants of defects that you have FADED by polishing, but not REMOVED
      Yes, this is a good picture, what you see there is a A pilar from the cooper, is piano black plastic, i cant fix it too

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');