• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Cars

Now that we know how difficult it is to maintain a black car, would this deter you to buy one?

My current car is silver and is well maintained by Meguiars products over the years. My previous car was black but I did not know anything about detailing at that time.

I am buying a new car and have a difficult time to choose a color. Black is nice but it is extremely high maintenance. Also, in a long run, scratches or chips on a black car will be more pronounced.

Re: Black Cars

I have a silver one too so I say stay with silver, it's a winner. I had a white one too & that's an easy color to live with. Black is a PITA.

Comment

Yes, lighter colors (my car is Silver) are easier to maintain. Sure, it may not have the same jaw-dropping depth or wet look even after a thorough detail vs. black or dark colors, but it does have a certain character to it. An issue that may arise (especially in more tropical, warmer and sunnier cities or countries) is that darker colors get hotter faster. Here where I live, it is something I take into consideration.

With black and other dark colors, even light scratches and spider webbing will be visible, but with proper care (which is not easy to do), dark colors and especially black, even "ordinary" cars will have a more elegant and classy look.

Comment

I plan to buy a new Honda Civic and have to select a color.
        Black looks great but I am concerned of being a slave to the car.
        I am now think of its Moden Steel Metallic color, it is a shade of grey.

Comment

If it's a slightly darker shade of metallic grey, I would choose it over the black. I've seen that shade of metallic grey, which actually look better than black. Maybe the Modern Steel Metallic is the best compromise for you. Not too dark that it becomes a chore to maintain, not too light that it becomes a "safe and neutral color" that doesn't really stand out. I'd go for the Modern Steel Metallic. Looks just right.

Comment

I have two black cars parked in my garage. They "own" me. My next new one in the spring will be a dark silver.(Sheet Metallic???) No more black for me. In my opinion, it is the classiest color for my car, but.....there come a time when I would rather own my car, than it own me.

Comment

No doubt black cars are sweet but from expense they're a pain to keep fresh. I wouldn't repaint. At any time you paint the car, it loses its value.Keep white. New looks, good maintenance and there are too many black cars users available.

Comment

Black cars own you, but they look the best when clean!

Comment

I own a black car. Yes looks great when its clean, and to be honest its only clean for 5 minutes after you washed it. However the happnies you get when you clean it...

Comment

Hi I have owned a black car lived outside all its short life I owned it. The car drove me nuts trying to keep it clean. Black cars yes they look nice. But they are a full time job keeping the car clean.
                    If you want a black car go ahead and buy one put don't say I did not warn you.

tall golfer

Comment

Just traded in my black car for medium gray. Will never get black again!!! Too much work and frustration!!

Comment

I guess I am the outlier here, I love my wife's black car. Granted it is a big-ol minivan (sienna se) with large flat surfaces, and I do wash all my vehicles every week routinely. Maybe because I am accustomed to washing every week it doesn't bother me to stay on top of the maintanence. I will admit though, at my wifes work, they were installing new grass/sprinklers and during the overseeding process, the back half of her car would be covered in water spots on the daily. It was frustrating but, if the car was white/tan/silver, I may or may not have noticed the waterspots and they would have had time to sit on the surface for a longer period of time. So in some aspects, the black car helped me (at least in my twisted head of trying to justify cleaning it).

It bothers me more that the van is huge and because we have kids it takes me 60 minutes to wash and vacuum due to the bombshell of a mess that erupts every week inside her car.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');