• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite Detail Tools under $1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite Detail Tools under $1

What are your favorite detailing tools under $1

This thread is meant to share ideas on detailing. Frequently there are common very inexpensive tools that we can adapt to help with detailing.

Add your ideas to the thread.

Re: What are your favorite Detail Tools under $1

I'll start with Q-Tips. I buy a small supply and transfer them to a clear plastic box to keep them clean until used.

Examples of using them for automotive detailing include:
    Cleaning in hard to reach small places like around the lug nuts.
    Dipped in an appropriate solvent, they can help remove dried fuel lacquer from a carb leak.

Well, That's not nice. The images said they uploaded to my Gallery, yet are not there to use.
    I will try an alternative.

Comment

I find these small cotton squares useful in the engine compartment.
      Particularly on small bright metal pieces.

I have found them effective on the following:
      Applying solvent to remove dried fuel that leaked from carb (be careful the correct solvents on aluminium).
      Using a mild metal cleaner on aluminum lines, or shiny nuts/bolts.

Comment

I found the sponge wedges useful in the engine compartment getting into tight spaces.
        They also fit A/C outlets pretty well.

Comment

A detailing forum pointed me to an article on washing microfiber towels. The presenter described a number of good ideas. He grades his towels based on condition and cleanliness. I don't do high volume detailing, so these small containers work well for me.

I found these clear containers at a buck and under store. I could buy them with different color tops as a visual queue for the grade. I then applied computer address labels to help me if I forgot the colors.

My grades are set up as follows:
          Note: Sewn in tags must be removed prior to placing into a container!
          A Green top Very clean and in very good condition - Use for paint
          B Blue top Clean fair condition - Use for glass and buff metal
          C Purple top Washed, yet may still hold some dirt in fibers - Use for interiors and wheels
          D Red top Washed, yet probably last use on car - Use for under carriage etc. or as a last use to wax wood furniture in home.

I keep a couple of containers for each grade. With this smaller size container, I can drop a grade A and grade C container into the truck when going to a car show.

Comment

It is important to pull the sewn in tags and threads off your microfiber towels.
            I use a larger $0.99 clear container to hold new towels.
            When I bring new microfiber towels homes, I pull the tags and then put them into the clear containers.

The larger size lets me know the included towels are new, tag removed towels.
            I can stack the smaller containers on the larger ones on my detailing cart. The cart is a recycled 3 shelf audio/video cart on wheels.

Comment

I use 1 gallon freezer bags with a place to write contents to hold my soiled microfiber towels.
              This helps keep them from collecting dust and debree before being washed.
              I leave the end unsealed, to allow them to air dry vs. potentially mildewing.

Some folks segregate by towel grade and/or by chemicals used.
              My usage is not heavy enough for that, so I wash together (twice with Tide).
              I inspect both sides and grade (A, B, C or D) again as I put them into the clear boxes holding the graded towels.

Comment

If your amount of towels exceeds mine for just my vehicles, check Ammo NYC video.
                This is a longer video discussing: 1) What to look for in a particular MF towel 2) How to wash/dry your towels 3) How to organize your towels once they are ...

Comment

At the dollar stores I have found various brushes to clean my interiors, they could be skinny paint brushes, makeup brushes (what my wife uses). These can really get into the nooks and crannies of car vents, interior trim, etc.
                  I have also found small measuring spoons/cups to help mix my wash soaps perfectly....I hate using the soap bottle cap as a measurement tool...
                  "STRIFE" aka Phil
                  2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
                  2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
                  2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Meguiar's Online Member BillyJack suggest:
                    To remove wax buildup on those tricky areas around emblems and moldings, grab a package of bamboo skewers at the supermarket or dollar store. Spending a buck or two gets you a lifetime supply.

You can wrap a microfiber towel or one of the cotton squares above to reduce chances of scratching the paint.
                    https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/...120/590715.jpg
                    Sharing them with the cook has benefits too.

Comment

As in the above, but I use tooth picks. I would rather use my skewers for their intended purposes. MMMM. Looks good.

Comment

I used to use Meguiar's Ultimate Detailing spray. We met up with the other National El Camino Owners Association members for a Meguair's Detailing 101 Class. Nick Winn suggested trying the Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax Anywhere. I really like using it. See image of El Camino below with bottle image.

My new gallon and quart jugs where $1 each, as was the high mist sprayer.
                        I now mix Meguiar's D115 Professional Rinse Free Express Wash and Wax concentrate at 4:1. This makes up a product that other than color and smell, is very, very similar to the Enthusiast product I was using. I also mix a 8:1 concentration for very light cleanings that works similar to the touch up after driving 50 miles to a car show.
                        I now buy Meguiar's D115 in gallon size concentrate and premix product for about $2 to $3 per wash. Since I am frugal, this allows me to use a little more product, which is just a little safer on the finish. With the California drought, we were not allowed locally to wash in driveways with water in 2014-2016.

Don't get misled by my image. I use these products on my paint. However, I can also use them on the wheels for light touch up. That would likely be the last use for the microfiber towel. Brake dust can be abrasive.

Comment

Q-tips, same reason as Old Bear.

I use hotel cards for a few uses (not that I intentionally take them, I just accidentally end up with a small collection of them). I use them for gentle scrapers, wrap an MF around them to get in tight slots, and as "spreaders" to prime an MF pad.

Grocery bags are trash bags when cleaning junk out of vehicles.

I always keeps lots of cheap, clean cotton terry towels on hand for dirty work, cleaning pads on the fly, or wiping sweat off my face after working in the Florida sun! Ok, not intentionally for the sweat, but when ya got no other choice...

I like the containers you're using for the microfibers. Very organized! I just have too many to store them that way. I store them in Ziploc bags, inside a 3-drawer plastic cabinet.
                          Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                          Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                          2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Here's one of my favorite cheapies, been using these for a while for a lot of things, including mixing paint. They are perfect for measuring the right amount of soap per bucket for washes. One full 1oz cup of concentrate soap per 3.5 gallon wash bucket.

$4 for 100 cups:

Purple Towel Auto Detailing
                            @purpletoweldetailing

Comment

Small cotton squares that are useful for the engine part.Here are so many suggestions you will follow but these are not in just 1$. :P
                              -Steam cleaners for dashboards
                              -side walls
                              -windows
                              -floor mattresses

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');