• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Coat failure on my Sienna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Coat failure on my Sienna

Just washed my 2005 Toyota Sienna today, and I discovered some clear coat failure. You can see the best pic I took, here: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...hp?photo=67763

I have seen white gunk up there (this is the area on the roof, just above the top of the windshield) for a few years. I have always thought that it was soapy residue that was not properly rinsed off (before, I would wash the entire car with soap water, and only then rinse it off--since then I learned to wash only the roof and windows, then rinse off, before continuing to wash the lower half). I always told myself when I had more time, I'd get some polish and take it off.

Anyways, I have never seen it this bad. I ran my fingers over it and it is very grainy. But there is no flaking, no bubbling of the paint, like it is ready to peel off at any moment.

Stuff to consider before giving me advice: because apart from this, and some dings in the paint from doors banging into it, and the hood---the rest of the paint actually looks like it is in very good condition for a 13 year old car. So I quite probably won't want to repaint it for several more years.

What can I do, to slow or prevent further degradation of the paint here?

Re: Clear Coat failure on my Sienna

Second question: I am almost 100% sure that the gunk that was originally up there, was in fact soapy residue. If that is the case, is it possible that this has eaten into the clear coat, and has caused the peeling away? It's hard for me to look at this and think it was just a coincidence, although of course it is possible that the spot where lots of wind, sand, and sun hit the paint, would naturally have eaten away at the clear coat, without any help from soap.... I don't know, so I'm asking.

Comment

Once the clear coat start fail there is not much that can be done other than repainting the area. Claying or polishing will tend to make it worse. Best to just wash it like normal and you can wax it. The wax may not last as long in the affected areas.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yeah I did claying on another car, and it made the clear coat peel off more--the increased friction made it worse. OK I'll just maintain what I have.... I just hate to spend thousands of dollars on a paint job, when 95% of the car's paint looks pretty good.

Thanks, I'll just do normal maintenance.

Comment

I had an '05 XLE model; terrific van. Yeah you can try waxing it for the time being but why not just have the roof painted? If the rest of the paint is in good condition they may be able to match it well enough so that a casual glance wouldn't be noticeable.

Comment

I definitely agree. It has given me 145K relatively trouble free miles.

If I were to go that route, I'd do the roof and the hood. Perhaps that might work out, but then in 5 years, if the sides started goofing up, I'd regret it... I think I might just tough it out until I want to do the entire thing.

Besides, we very well might want it painted a different color. Minivans are weird enough looking, without driving around town all two tone.

Originally posted by Joe Dragon View Post
            I had an '05 XLE model; terrific van. Yeah you can try waxing it for the time being but why not just have the roof painted? If the rest of the paint is in good condition they may be able to match it well enough so that a casual glance wouldn't be noticeable.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');