• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax Remnants in Paint Chip Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax Remnants in Paint Chip Repair

Going to do a full wax on my older car, the 06, as a prelude to doing my newer car. Last evening, I touched up a lot of chips with paint and a toothpick, and while it looks fairly good, can see it is not a great solution. It is an old car, well taken car of, and so not expecting show car results. That said, the paint is generally in excellent condition considering its age. Once I clay, polish and wax, I know there will be white wax residue from UPW clinging in or about the chip repairs, and being that the car is black, will probably look worse than if I had just left the chips. Remember, this is my older car, and 06, daily driver, so I am not expecting perfection, but dry white wax residue does not add to the appearance of a black car.

I seem to recall the Meguiar's Black Wax is actually black, and would probably then dry black in the pock marks. could that be a solution? I believe Turtle Wax (or someone) has a black wax for just this purpose, filling in pinholes/chips with black wax. Maybe some other wax maker?

I don't want to get into wet sanding, or Dr. Paint chip, or anything serious.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has a simple solution. Thanks.

Re: Wax Remnants in Paint Chip Repair

Two days, 80 views, so I guess there is no solution. Anyway, thanks for reading.

Comment

What comes to my mind is to use Ultimate Fast Finish as it is clear. I feel your pain as I've had the same problem myself. My current truck isn't too bad in this regard, but my old S10 had "crow's feet" clear coat failure on the hood. Waxing just made it much more obvious.
      Lydia's Mobile Detailing
      Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
      2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
        What comes to my mind is to use Ultimate Fast Finish as it is clear. I feel your pain as I've had the same problem myself. My current truck isn't too bad in this regard, but my old S10 had "crow's feet" clear coat failure on the hood. Waxing just made it much more obvious.
        Thanks for the reply and after reading about UFF, it seems to be exactly what I want. Any experience in how it compares to UPW in protection and longevity? Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry, but I haven't compared the two. I'm currently doing some testing with UFF, will have to see how it's holding up. I can tell you it is very fast and easy to apply. If it's even half as durable as advertised, it's well worth the money.
          Lydia's Mobile Detailing
          Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
          2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');