• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A switch in waxes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A switch in waxes???

With the bad weather coming just around the corner, I had another question about taking care of a new Civic. The car's garaged in all weather albeit in an unheated one, and generally sits out only overnight when I use it to go to-and-from work (11PM-7AM).

I just got finished putting a second coat of Gold Class Carnuba on the car. I figure I have maybe just enough left to give it one more coat in the next month.

Instead of continuing with GC Carnuba, would it do any harm to switch over to to the newer Ultimate Liquid Wax product over the top of the GC Carnuba? I know the ULW is a synthetic product and the GC isn't, but would it make any difference in application/removal over the carnuba and would it give me any better winter protection?

Tnx.

Re: A switch in waxes???

You will not have any issues going from ULW from GC. GC may be degraded to the point where the fresh layer of ULW will bond just fine. ULW is designed to be more durable than GC. There are others who have used ULW as their winter protection and it has worked well.

I just made this post on ULW getting a formula tweak.

New and Improved Ultimate Liquid Wax

If you plan to continue and use GC then you want to apply that on top of ULW as you want the most durable form of protection as the base layer.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Uh... I was considering going the OTHER way... since there's already 2 coats of GC ON the car. If I wanted to start over again, how would I go about removing the 2 coats of GC that's already ON the car?

Comment

Already saw the ULW "new & improved" post but, short of spilling your guts (pardon the pun) what kind of "extra protection" does the ULW afford over GC? I mean, on a scale of 1 to 10, if GC is, say a "6" (with "10" being the highest protection available) what would the ULW be - an "8" or "9"? Does the ULW afford a harder surface? More protection agains salt & the elements?

Comment

Originally posted by magilla View Post
          Uh... I was considering going the OTHER way... since there's already 2 coats of GC ON the car. If I wanted to start over again, how would I go about removing the 2 coats of GC that's already ON the car?
          Ultimate Polish would remove it. It has a light abrasive in it and nothing to worry about as it is clear coat safe. If the wax has been on for more that a couple months I would not worry about it and just use UW. Depending on how long it's been on the surface, GC could be degraded to the point where it won't hinder the performance of UW.

Originally posted by magilla View Post
          Already saw the ULW "new & improved" post but, short of spilling your guts (pardon the pun) what kind of "extra protection" does the ULW afford over GC? I mean, on a scale of 1 to 10, if GC is, say a "6" (with "10" being the highest protection available) what would the ULW be - an "8" or "9"? Does the ULW afford a harder surface? More protection agains salt & the elements?
          All I can say is that a sealant is designed to be more durable than a carnauba wax. Hopefully someone who lives with those kinds of conditions chimes in. Or you can try searching the forum. Here in Southern California we don't deal with those kinds of environments.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            Ultimate Polish would remove it. It has a light abrasive in it and nothing to worry about as it is clear coat safe. If the wax has been on for more that a couple months I would not worry about it and just use UW. Depending on how long it's been on the surface, GC could be degraded to the point where it won't hinder the performance of UW.

These two coats went on over the past two days within 24 hrs. of one another

All I can say is that a sealant is designed to be more durable than a carnauba wax. Hopefully someone who lives with those kinds of conditions chimes in. Or you can try searching the forum. Here in Southern California we don't deal with those kinds of environments.
            Ahhh... now all is made clear! Silly me... since it's called Ultimate Liquid WAX, I just assumed that it's a synthetic wax and not a SEALANT. As for what you guys deal with in California... annual fires... water rationing (it's coming)... earthquakes... I'll take my nice quiet snowy winters here in western PA instead.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');