• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toothpaste for headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toothpaste for headlights?

I just bought the Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit from Meguiars, because the headlamp covers on both of my cars have a lot of gunk on them.

After buying this, someone told me that they read/heard somewhere that you can clean off the plastic headlight cover, using toothpaste.

Has anyone done this before? What results did you get?

Re: Toothpaste for headlights?

Even if the toothpaste actually did anything beneficial long term (unlikely), you'll get better, longer lasting results using the kit you bought.

Comment

Before people like Meguiar's came out with their product, one of the more-or-less standard solutions to clean the haze from polycarbonate (read Lexan

Comment

Tried editing original post 2x but still wouldn't take so here goes again.

Before Meguiar's and the like hit the consumer market with their products a generally accepted method was to make a paste from white (distilled) vinegar and cream of tartar to clean & renew Lexan headlight covers. It was just aggressive enough to remove the surface particulate matter and to reduce or remove the yellowing caused by UV exposure. Lexan's an incredibly tough cross-linked polymer that stands up well to particulate impact and discoloration caused by UV exposure.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');