• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small rust spot on roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small rust spot on roof

How can I fix this? I didn't have this before. I always put sealant and wash every week, one day, 2 weeks ago, while I'm washing my car I notice this, how the hell does this happen? How can I fix without getting ripped off by the "professionals" who would probably want $100 or more for this.

Should it sand it off, apply some touch up paint and clear coat?

This blows. I even have a little tiny one right above this one.

Re: Small rust spot on roof

Am far from the best person to answer this but i have a theory. You live in Miami right? So my estimated guess is that one is a burn mark from the sun. Like when you hold a binocular at the sun creating a fire. Use the edge of a knife and clean it out and then touch up paint and clear coat. Using sandpaper will only make it bigger then it already is =)

Comment

Originally posted by snozan View Post
      Am far from the best person to answer this but i have a theory. You live in Miami right? So my estimated guess is that one is a burn mark from the sun. Like when you hold a binocular at the sun creating a fire. Use the edge of a knife and clean it out and then touch up paint and clear coat. Using sandpaper will only make it bigger then it already is =)
      It is very likely, but I always wash the car every week. I put meguiar ultimate wax sealant every 2 months. It is a 2014. I bought the car in oct 2016. My only explanation is that the previous owner didn't wax the car much if at all. This Mazda paint is known to be thin, though.

I read that some touchup paints, come with a tip for sanding down small spots. How would I need the edge. I doubt it would remove the rust. There are touchup clear coat paints too.

Comment

Everything is thin on a Mazda =) US vs Swedish market on things vary so much so you're better in knowing what you guys have and what to use

Comment

It doesn't look deep into the metal, so you might try a little vinegar and let it soak. If that doesn't remove the rust, then try a little chemical rust remover you can by at any auto store. Don't sand. it would only make a bigger problem as snozan said. Once the rust is gone, dab a little primer, then paint, and if you wish some clear coat. Do not use the little brush that comes in those little paint tubes. Use a tooth pick with a little primer and coat the mark. The another tooth pick with a little paint and build it up to as level to the good paint as you can. You could also try the DoctorChip stuff. No experience with it, but the video looked good. The trick is get all the rust out or it will just come back. https://www.drcolorchip.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
            It doesn't look deep into the metal, so you might try a little vinegar and let it soak. If that doesn't remove the rust, then try a little chemical rust remover you can by at any auto store. Don't sand. it would only make a bigger problem as snozan said. Once the rust is gone, dab a little primer, then paint, and if you wish some clear coat. Do not use the little brush that comes in those little paint tubes. Use a tooth pick with a little primer and coat the mark. The another tooth pick with a little paint and build it up to as level to the good paint as you can. You could also try the DoctorChip stuff. No experience with it, but the video looked good. The trick is get all the rust out or it will just come back. https://www.drcolorchip.com/
            If I scrape it with a knife and them apply rustoleum rust converter on the small spot, it will turn it black, then I can apply some touchup paint

The bodyshops and mobile repairers want hundreds and the bodyshops wants to paint the whole roof lmao

Doctorchip is overpriced, some good reviews but I've also read negative reviews on forums and ebay.

I mean if I apply a rusr converter, it shouldn't return or spread it.would stop it

Comment

Check out some other body shops. I have a silver metal flake finish and the body shop I used was able to fix a problem without painting the entire panel. I have no idea how they did it and I can't find the blend point between old and new paint. I mention this as I guess a blend would be cheaper than an entire panel repaint.

Comment

Originally posted by rqk View Post
                Check out some other body shops. I have a silver metal flake finish and the body shop I used was able to fix a problem without painting the entire panel. I have no idea how they did it and I can't find the blend point between old and new paint. I mention this as I guess a blend would be cheaper than an entire panel repaint.
                this metallic sparkles paints look good, but when it comes to matching, very few can do it right, i mean, how could they recreate the sparkle or match the right color. I know a guy from the Mazda 6 forums with the same paint that I have (liquid silver metallic) went to a shop who charged him hundreds for scratches and dents and the color didn't even come out the same. You are taking a gamble and there is no way to know what shop will be the one to do it right or make it look passable

Comment

Originally posted by Cogos View Post
                  If I scrape it with a knife and them apply rustoleum rust converter on the small spot, it will turn it black, then I can apply some touchup paint

I mean if I apply a rusr converter, it shouldn't return or spread it.would stop it
                  That is something I would do. Rustolum is fairly good stuff and should stop further rusting. I have never had a body shop repair a small chip like that, only an entire panel. RGK probably has had some good luck,, but as you say, it will cost big bucks. My vehicles are not show cars, so there are a couple of dings like that which I have repaired myself. I have accepted the fact that my repair is not going to be perfect, and I am happy knowing it will not rust further. If you can get used to the fact the your repair is not going to be perfect, go with fixing it yourself. If you want it showroom prefect, then I think only a professional can do it for you.

Comment

You will defiantly able to fix it.Just spot by carefully preparing the surface and taking some time after painting to polish out that area.In my opinion blasting is the best way to remove it all completely. Then prime and paint the area you need to remove every little spec of rust.

Comment

So I removed as much rust with an xacto knife but it was difficult to remove from the edges, I didn't want to mess the surrounding paint accidentally

I used a toothpick to put some rust reformer in there and applied 2 coats, after a while it turned it somewhat black, next day I check it and is not as black as before, and may be because it rained

I'm gonna apply a little more, I'm waiting for the touchup paint to arrive

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');