• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell is happening to my headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell is happening to my headlights?

I don't know if this is condensation or what. It does not seem to be water in there, more like is fogged up from the inside. How is it possible that it has happened to both headlights and is only on the upper part, but the middle and bottom is crystal clear. I'm thinking about removing the high beam bulb and using a compressor to spray air into the housing, but I don't know if this will fix it or make it worse. I contacted a headlight restorers and nobody wants to try and fix, most of those guys all they do is treat the outside of the headlights and I can see why they wouldn't want cause they could mess something up and they'd rather avoid any possible risk.

It is a 2014 vehicle and I bought it used in 2016. It already had some of this, but very little, it has gotten worse. How could this happen to both headlights and on the top part. Someone told me it could be clear coat peeling, but on a 2014? That's ridiculous.

Re: What the hell is happening to my headlights?

Have you tried a headlight kit to see if it is on the outside? Hard to tel from the photos if it is on the inside or outside.

Possibly even trying a polish (plastx) or compound (ultimate compound) before trying a headlight kit.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

It looks like condendation on the inside & is perfectly normal. My Mk7 Golf would do this.

It will dry out it's self.

Rappy

Comment

It looks like condensation on the inside, however it is NOT perfectly normal. There is a leak allowing moisture in. It probably will dry out itself, but the leak should be found and sealed. Otherwise, it will eventually stain. Go on an owners forum web site for your particular vehicle, there may be more information or even a recall for leaking lights. While I have not had the problem for my particular brand, according to some posts on the owners forums, the dealers did fix some, and for others there were plenty of DIY fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
          It looks like condensation on the inside, however it is NOT perfectly normal. There is a leak allowing moisture in. It probably will dry out itself, but the leak should be found and sealed. Otherwise, it will eventually stain. Go on an owners forum web site for your particular vehicle, there may be more information or even a recall for leaking lights. While I have not had the problem for my particular brand, according to some posts on the owners forums, the dealers did fix some, and for others there were plenty of DIY fixes.
          I'm still under bumper to bumper warranty, so I will take it to the dealer and see what they could if they can replace the headlights, that's be great, but who knows what excuse they may give, id have to fight it, but is a 2014 and on both headlights? and only the upper part, it already had this when i bought it used, but it wasn't much and it has gotten worse without me doing anything directly to the headlights

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
            It all depends on the make of car. My Golf R did this & it was common on the Mk7 Golf forum.

It's the only car I have owned, that had this issue.

My SQ5 & previous VW's never did this, so I guess it's down to the headlight design only.

Rappy

Comment

Definitely take it back to where you bought it.

Comment

Absolutely NOT normal for a headlight to not be sealed from moisture.
                Purple Towel Auto Detailing
                @purpletoweldetailing

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Towel Detailing View Post
                  Absolutely NOT normal for a headlight to not be sealed from moisture.
                  Not entirely true. The Golf had ventalation holes & was not completly sealed. I'm guessing to displace the heat from LED's.

Rappy

Comment

Originally posted by Cogos View Post
                    replace the headlights, that's be great, but who knows what excuse they may give, id have to fight it, but is a 2014 and on both headlights?
                    Headlight assemblies are very expensive, so expect a good fight from the dealer. If it is the original factory warranty, you might have a chance. If it is an extended warranty, well, in my opinion, those are practically worthless. Whatever the case, fight like h ell, because they are not supposed to allow moisture in. Good luck to you.

Comment

I got it fixed at the dealer. It turns out it was actually on the outside, not the inside. It was stained by something when the previous owner had it. They think it was well water, so is possible fungus, mold or something living was growing on it, which explains why it was spreading. Unfortunately, I'm out of bumper to bumper warranty, but even if I had it, they say it wouldn't be covered under warranty, since is not a defect inside the headlights and is caused by external causes, not even extended warranty would cover it. My warranty ended on July 2016. All I have is power train warranty.

So, I had to pay $80 and I get 12 months/12,000 miles warranty with the work, so if it returns, I could get it fixed it again, but hopefully it doesn't return. I don't drive much, so I have 12 months on it. I knew I could've got it done for 50 bucks by a local detailer, but without the dealer warranty, so is whatever.

Comment

LEDs don't put out heat like other bulbs, which is one of the big benefits of LED lighting. You mean HIDs, which do get very hot. They might be "normal" for late-model VW Golfs, but moisture inside of a headlight is not acceptable.
                        Purple Towel Auto Detailing
                        @purpletoweldetailing

Comment

Originally posted by Cogos View Post
                          I got it fixed at the dealer. It turns out it was actually on the outside, not the inside. It was stained by something when the previous owner had it. They think it was well water, so is possible fungus, mold or something living was growing on it, which explains why it was spreading. Unfortunately, I'm out of bumper to bumper warranty, but even if I had it, they say it wouldn't be covered under warranty, since is not a defect inside the headlights and is caused by external causes, not even extended warranty would cover it. My warranty ended on July 2016. All I have is power train warranty.

So, I had to pay $80 and I get 12 months/12,000 miles warranty with the work, so if it returns, I could get it fixed it again, but hopefully it doesn't return. I don't drive much, so I have 12 months on it. I knew I could've got it done for 50 bucks by a local detailer, but without the dealer warranty, so is whatever.
                          Looks very nice. Might not come back but if it does, save the 50 or 80 bucks and just try some cleaner wax.

Comment

They are supposed to do it for free if it comes back

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');