• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older lady needs help for advancing to DA polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older lady needs help for advancing to DA polisher

Just don't have hand/arm strength to compound out those tiny scratches left by all the old folks opening their doors against my red car when I go to Walmart and the grocery store. My car seems to be a magnet for them even when I park far away from the door. Using several of the Meguiar compound products. Aside from buying a $250+ DA polisher, what are my options? Is the small DA polisher still available and is it worth the cost which may necessitate a new drill? Even if I bought the heavy duty type, what is the probability that I might wreck the finish on my 2007 Camry? Hoped that the fairly nearby community college might have a class on detailing, but no such luck. I am a 80 year old retired orthopedic nurse so really like tools that make life easier.
    Read more at http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...V40jjQazhYY.99

Thx.

Re: Older lady needs help for advancing to DA polisher

I'm impressed gagar! Online, polishing your car, knowledgeable, willing to take a class ... and at 80! I hope I'm doing the same. And by the way, I love your part of the state. Vacation there often.

As for your post above, those "old folks" opening doors against your car; that often leaves a mark or dent that's not easily removed. Paint thinner, rubbing alcohol or acetone can easily remove the paint transfer (color mark) from your door, but if you have a dent or paint chip removed, it may need a little more work than a buffer can provide. With that said, to remove swirl scratches, rub marks, water spots, and the like, you might look at Porter Cable's 7424XP. One of the best out there for the price. And although the local college isn't offering a class, there are thousands of videos online that should give you enough confidence to make that Camry sparkle. Best of luck!

Comment

A community college wouldn't usually have a detailing class. For that I'd look for a technical or trade school for high school students to learn plumbing, cement work, carpentry, chef's cooking, etc. But the online videos have plenty of info that you can learn without driving somewhere.

Comment

Thanks, HCAD. There are a few paint transfers that I haven't been able to remove completely with Meguiar products, so will investigate the options you suggested. Presume they are safe for clear coat. Will look for the PorterCable polisher locally. At first glance on Amazon, seems it may be a little heavy at 5+ pounds for me to hold and use on the side panels where most of the blemishes occur, but would probably work well for a very bothersome bird poop etching on my hood. (Should have watched the videos before I let the bird droppings eat away some clear coat.) Must admit that I am a hit or miss person for detailing my car, even though I find it more satisfying than gardening or some of the other chores of everyday life. Have a great mechanic and a valid drivers license that will get me through another 5 years, if I can just keep the finish decent on my red Camry.

Comment

Your reply encouraged me to look beyond my local community college but the Tech school at 1.5 hours away only teaches emission control, etc. If I get discouraged at 80, can only imagine what a high school student wanting a good trade outside computers must feel. I have benefitted greatly from the online videos but would prefer to use a polisher on a junker before making mistakes on my car that I hope to make last and look good for my last 5 years of driving.
          Last edited by gagar; Aug 12, 2017, 09:09 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Gagar asked "Is the small DA polisher still available and is it worth the cost which may necessitate a new drill?"

At 68 and coming off of frozen shoulders, I went with a Meguiar's DA polisher. The Porter Cable may be an affordable alternative. I have heard it vibrates a little more than the MT300. The vibrations can tire our arms out sooner.

Comment

Thx, Old Bear. A very good point. Did see that some reviewers considered the vibration as a negative for the Porter Cable.

Comment

Gagar
                I apologize for being a little ambiguous.
                I selected the MT300 DA Polisher, not the drill mounted DA polisher attachment.
                I felt my two hands could control the larger full polisher easier than a drill.
                With neuropathy in the fingers, it is easier to hold the polisher with a trigger hand and the other on the adjustable u shaped handle.

Comment

I'm wondering or maybe just thinkin' out loud but...maybe someone reading these posts in you 'neighborhood' would be able and willing to to lend a hand.

I think more folks read this forum than reply so maybe someone will come forth.

Bill

Comment

Old Bear, can't express enough appreciation for your observations as they are addressing my concerns.THX.

Comment

I'm sort of a misfit in my small golfing community,. I would be surprised if anyone would even recognize the Meguiar brand. Thanks for the kind thought, Bill.

Comment

An additional thought concerning the Porter Cable vs other polishers. The vibration level really come into play when you're correcting an entire vehicle. If you tackle your car one panel at a time, resting in between for an hour or a day, it may not be an issue. I have an older Porter Cable and a Meguiar's, and I don't notice a huge difference between the two. My older PC is actually smaller and easier to handle than the newer Meguiar's machine.

Comment

My goals- (1) correcting small blemishes, which may require some wet sanding, suspect that many may respond to Scratch X . (2) Application of liquid wax. Surprisingly my red 2007 Camry has kept a decent finish in spite of only an occasional spray wax at the drive thru car wash. I suppose it's because this part of NC has more rainy days second only to Seattle. (So the saying goes.) Actually thinking that a 3 inch polishing head might be sufficient for my needs but will need to learn more about counter weights. Thx HCAD.

Comment

Originally posted by gagar View Post
                            My goals- (1) correcting small blemishes, which may require some wet sanding, suspect that many may respond to Scratch X . (2) Application of liquid wax. Surprisingly my red 2007 Camry has kept a decent finish in spite of only an occasional spray wax at the drive thru car wash. I suppose it's because this part of NC has more rainy days second only to Seattle. (So the saying goes.) Actually thinking that a 3 inch polishing head might be sufficient for my needs but will need to learn more about counter weights. Thx HCAD.
                            Are you referring to the counter weight on a PC? If so, not to be concerned. Ya have to remember the PC started its' life as a SANDER, hence the different weights really made a difference when using different sized sanding discs. Using it as 'buffer' it really doesn't make any difference.

Hope this helps...

Bill

Comment

You hit the nail on the head. I can scratch that off my list in making my decision. Thx, Bill.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');