• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars Pro grade vs Consumer grade compounds + polishers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars Pro grade vs Consumer grade compounds + polishers

Hello everyone,

I just recently bought a good amount of Meguiar's brand products, and I was hoping to get some clarification as to which one is BEST in my application below:
    - Not a professional detailer (weekends only)
    - Go to car meets and want best wet-look mirror like gloss all the time
    - Willing to detail/wash every few weeks (mostly waterless method)
    - Live in temperate zone (snows)
    - Do not have any DA tool/buffer/orbital (hand application only)

So I currently have these Meguiar products:
    - Clay Bar
    - Ultimate Compound
    - Ultimate Polish
    - Mirror Glaze Show Car Glaze
    - Other Meguiar's Pro Detailer line products
    - Other brand products (waxes, sealants, cleaners, etc)

I have 2 old cars and 1 new... was going to use UC on the older cars which need severe correction, followed by UP + MG-SCG + Sealant + Liquid Wax.

Do you think I'm going to need something between UC and UP?

I've read that UC is somewhere between M105 and Mirror Glaze Medium Cut... while UP is very similar to M205 or MG-Final Cut.
    I chose MG-SCG over M305, because I was planning on putting a Sealant (non-silica based), and read M305 had waxes built into which I did not want to interfere with the sealant bond to the clear coat.
    The other reason I didn't get M105/M205 is because (a) I don't need a product safe for paint environment which is silicone free, and (b) I don't use a DA polisher... hand application only.

Please tell me if my understand below is correct:
    The PRO line of products are designed to be used by paint-prep conscious details with buffer/DA tools which "break down/flash" where high speed/pressure breaks down the abrasive compounds over time to almost nothing (SMAT).
    On the other hand... Consumer grade products are more designed to be used by hand-application (similar SMAT technology) but designed to break down faster/easier without the need of high speed/pressure.

In short... as long as I don't need products which require paint-prep safe ingredients... and buy products which are specifically designed to be used by hand-application... no need to buy PRO grade... as long as I don't have a junk-yard type car which would require VERY strong abrasives/tools to get the job done right?

I have other Meguiar products which are from the Pro Detailer line, but those are for cleaning/spray-waxes.

Re: Meguiars Pro grade vs Consumer grade compounds + polishers

First off what year are those old vehicles? This will lead to a follow up question and which products to use.

As far as Consumer vs Pro products, they are aimed at different industries. The pro line is for body shops and professionals where one is looking for cost effective prices and quantity. The consumer line is aimed towards the consumer where ease of use is key. The pro products can also be used by hand and are not dedicated for machine use. Just like carious consumer products.

I would recommend investing in a dual action polisher. You will thank us later as it is hard to do things by hand. A DA will save you time and give you better results. Get that advil or Tylenol ready after doing things by hand

Here is some more information on some of the products you listed.

Ultimate Compound - Derived from M105. Contains the same abrasive load but less of them. Meaning it will have less cut than M105. But it has a longer working time than M105. Both can be used by hand.

Ultimate Polish - Derived from M205. Contains the same abrasive load but less of them. UP contains more polishing oils and has slightly less cut than M205. Both can be used by hand.

M7 - Is a pure polish with no correction ability. This is beneficial for single stage paints. Not really needed for clear coats.

M305 - This was designed for the body shop industry. It is designed to be used on fresh paints. It will leave a layer of protection that is breathable so that the fresh outgasses without the protection hindering the paint. Fresh paint should not be waxed or sealed for a minimum off 30 days and maximum 90 days. Best to check with the painter. It can be used as a regular form of protection but it is not as durable as say ultimate wax. I don't see you needed M305 unless you have a fresh painted vehicle.

On your new car I would wash, clay, polish and seal.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');