• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wash Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Wash Question

Hello all!

I know that we all hand wash our cars here. I do, too, but sometimes I honestly don't have time to do so. We have several automatic car washes around here that have converted from the "soft cloth" to the closed cell foam. I've heard several people talk about how good they are, and how they don't absorb water, hold on to dirt/grit, etc. As a result, they all feel that they're much safer.

So, I am wondering, is this a safe method to run your car through occasionally? My biggest concern with the nicest wash here is the guide rails. I just bought a new snowflake white pearl 2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring. My tire/rims are 225/55/17 and I'm not sure if they will rub or not on the rail. They claim that they're all lined in plastic though.

Anyway, just curious if any of you have experienced this "foam?" Also, can you all recommend something that will make this white pearl POP?

Thanks!

Re: Car Wash Question

If time is an issue, you can consider using a sealant or a coating for your car for longer protection between washes. I have no experience with the closed cell foam, but my guess is that any kind of automatic car wash is going to carry some kind of hazard for your car, as they go through so many dirty cars per day and don't stay as pristine as carefully washed microfiber towels. Even touchless washes apparently use chemicals that are too harsh for the car. Just my two cents.

Comment

Re: Car Wash Question

Originally posted by JMan136 View Post
      Hello all!

I know that we all hand wash our cars here. I do, too, but sometimes I honestly don't have time to do so. We have several automatic car washes around here that have converted from the "soft cloth" to the closed cell foam. I've heard several people talk about how good they are, and how they don't absorb water, hold on to dirt/grit, etc. As a result, they all feel that they're much safer.

So, I am wondering, is this a safe method to run your car through occasionally? My biggest concern with the nicest wash here is the guide rails. I just bought a new snowflake white pearl 2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring. My tire/rims are 225/55/17 and I'm not sure if they will rub or not on the rail. They claim that they're all lined in plastic though.

Anyway, just curious if any of you have experienced this "foam?" Also, can you all recommend something that will make this white pearl POP?

Thanks!
      I don't take my cars through any car wash. I do it at home as I know how to protect the paint. I have converted to about 90% of my washes being rinseless. I do the occasional bucket wash to break up the monotony. Rinseless for me is just quicker.

My co-worker took his 4 Runner to the drive through car wash and he came out with a broken antenna. So take that for what it is worth. My uncle used to take his car to one and they messed up his wheels.

White won't give you the same "pop" as a dark vehicle. But a white car can benefit from a wash, clay, polish and sealant. That will brighten up the paint.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');