• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bringing shine to new clear coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing shine to new clear coat

Full disclosure - I'm a total newbie to the auto detailing/painting world. Recently I purchase a used truck - a 2008 Nissan Frontier in dark pearl blue. On the rear wheel-wells near the bottom (both sides), there was some damage to the factory paint. Lots of small to medium chips and some larger scraped off areas due to rocks ( I think the previous owner took it off roading). I wanted to get it fixed but the quotes came in at $3000 which was cost prohibitive given the year and mileage of the truck. I decided to go it myself and ordered rattle can paint, clear coat and blending solvent. I must have watched 30 videos on DIY painting prior so I would know what to do and what to expect.

Overall, I'm super happy with the results - you basically can't tell except for the blend line between the old/new clear and the fact that the new area of paint and clear is a little bit less shiny than the factory. The fact that it's a dark blue definitely helps. Now I'm at a stage where I want to see if I can get a bit more shine to help with overall blending. I gotta admit, I'm nervous. I'm contemplating a wet-sand with either 2500 or 3000 grit followed by a rubbing compound and polish. Every time I watch videos of people wet-sanding, it looks easy, but that hazy/dull finish it leaves - that you then polish up - scares me. I've read a lot of horror stories of people being unable to polish the scratches/dull finish out of clear coat that's been wet-sanded. I'm really worried that I'm going to destroy all my hard work.

Here are my questions:

1.) Can I skip the wet-sand step and just use a more abrasive rubbing compound/polish and still get a decent shine out of the new clear coat?

2.) If I do go with the wet-sand on the clear coat, is 2500 or 3000 grit appropriate? ( I worry about too aggressive scratching should I go for 1500/200)

2.) Do I need a powerful rotary buffer to properly shine up the clear with the rubbing compound or can I do it by hand? I also have access to a 0.65 amp 3,800 rpm palm polisher if that's better.

3.) If I buff out these two lower wheel well areas on either side of the truck - should I apply rubbing compound to the entire truck and buff out as well for consistencies sake?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Bringing shine to new clear coat

To comment correctly is impossible without seeing the current condition of the paint. Photos _might_ help but it really needs to be seen in person. Again, can't say at all without seeing the paint.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');