• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making black shine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making black shine

I'm used to rubbing like hell to get things to shine. Now I'm told to do it in this order... Clean, Polish, then wax.
    Will this make my black truck look wet.... and what do you recommend as far as the new tech products. Paste or liquid?

how long have you had the car for? after washing with your car wash.. put your hand in a plastic baggy and run your hand over the paint. do you feel a lot of bumps??? if so , you should clay your car. pay special attention to the horizantal areas. polishing depends on your paint, is it swirled? how badly swirled? any scratches? any deep scratches?? then for the wax use NXT wax. either liquid or paste. either of your choice works fine. apply it once, wait 25 minutes for it to set it, then wipe off. then go back out 24 hours later and apply your second coat. make sure you use a quick detailer to remove all the dirt that may have gotten on it after if you left the car outside.

Comment

I agree with what LnkPrkSoldier said. In order to make you car look it's best, you have to prep it properly first. As far as toppers go, NXT IMO has a dark deep look to it.

I applied #26 to my car over the weekend and it looks really reflective and shiney. A different look than say NXT, probably more like #21 IMO. I've had several people at work comment on it. I'm thinking I may start topping NXT off with 26 for the shine.

Tom

Comment

After prepping surface as discussed, Gold Class paste looks great on black paint. It gives an A-1 shine. It looks better on black, imo, than NXT. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
        Bama

Comment

thanks.
          I've had my truck for 4 years now and it still looks pretty good. We've had a rough winter and no spring in the east so I want to start the summer off right. All I've done so far this spring is wash. I'm going to have to go bumper to bumper excluding engine compartment.

Comment

Re: Making black shine

Originally posted by pabouvier
            I'm used to rubbing like hell to get things to shine. Now I'm told to do it in this order... Clean, Polish, then wax.
            Will this make my black truck look wet.... and what do you recommend as far as the new tech products. Paste or liquid?
            Hi pabouvier,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Creating a show car shine is part inspiration, part perspiration, and part preparation. The members of Meguiar's Online will go out of their way to help you achieve the results you're trying to create on your trucks paint.

In a nutshell if you want to do it all by hand,
            • * Wash
              * Clay - If surface evaluation deems necessary
              * Use a Paint Cleaner - An intelligent alternative to an old-fashioned rubbing or polishing compound
              * Polish with a pure polish
              * Apply two thin coats of wax
              * Maintain with a quick detailer and a spray on wax in-between normal washing and regular waxing

If you want to step up to machine polishing, then you can take just about any finish and go from this,

To this...

And then how to maintain your results.

For the above finish, we used,

Meguiar's Quik Clay System
            M80 Speed Glaze/W-8006 foam polishing pad/G100
            NXT Tech Wax Liquid/W-9006 foam finishing pad/G100

Either way, we can help you get the results you want.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,
              Thats exactly the result I'm looking for... I'm going to start this week end. I'll send in pictures of the result.

Comment

WOW... that's one sweet ride.

Awsome shine Mike.

Comment

Mike that Vette is sweet!!!

I like the shine of Gold Class though. To me, Gold Glass is more about shine, and NXT is more about depth. NXT has a wet look to me, and Gold Glass has a high shine effect on the finish. The differences are probably subtle to the average person though.

However, on that Vette, I believe the #80 had a lot do with that amazing finish as well as the technique. The NXT is a fine wax though. I just prefer GC, but hey, that is why Meguiar's has different products. Different strokes for different folks.
                  Bama

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');