• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car: Which Products to use first ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car: Which Products to use first ?

hello guys

i just bought a new car and its fresh a day or two from the official dealer.

before applying anything to the paint, i will like to seek advice about the products to be used.

can i apply paint protect instantly or a quick detailer first? if yes, which one? the red quick detailer or the ultimate quick detailer?

should i wax it prior to applying paint protect?

please note that they are absolutely no swirl marks at the moment but some light have settled on the paint and some water marks which can be easily removed with a microfibre.

is there a need to wash it first?

please let me know how to proceed.

many thanks for your help.

Re: New Car: Which Products to use first ?

1, Clean: You should properly wash and degrease the car to get rid of all the factory protective film residual. Wash the car properly, and then degrease. I'm not sure if meguiar makes a dedicated degrease product, if not, get yourself a bottle of sonax finish control, or menzerna top inspection and follow the instructions.

2, Protection: you should 'seal' the car paint when it's new. Meguiars ultimate fast finish is very capable and long lasting. Otherwise you can try sonax polymer net shield. They're both type of synthetic paint sealant, which offer great hydroponic effect and chemical/acid protection.

3,Shine: After at least 12 hours for the sealant to cure, you can then apply wax of your choice for the extra shine. Meguiars ultimate liquid wax is very good, or you can try collinite 915 paste wax. This step is optional.

4, Quick Clean: Meguiars UQD, or menzerna endless shine. To be honest I think the menzerna is better, it's a much thicker liquid than most QD I've seen and the shine is most brilliant. But can be quite expensive.

Comment

You'll also need some basic tools for application and daily care of your car. The bare minimum is:

1, At least six medium pile , medium size Microfiber towels for wax buffing and QD wipe. Such as meguiars X2020 supreme shine. A 'medium pile' MF is soft to touch but not too plushy, around 300-400gsm so the threads can easily pick up the wax,liquid residue instead of smearing it around. A quick way to tell is to run your hand over it, if you can feel the threads clinging your palm, then it's good.

2, one waffle MF and two low pile MF for glass . The waffle for exterior and low pile for inside. You can find these cheap on amazon.

3, couple of foam pads for wax and sealant application. Meguiars used to make a great MF pad, but I think they discontinued the line.

If you decide to wash the car yourself, you'll also need two large drying towels, two wash mitts, meguiars gold class wash liquid and a bucket with grit guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhnos View Post
        hello guys

i just bought a new car and its fresh a day or two from the official dealer.

before applying anything to the paint, i will like to seek advice about the products to be used.

can i apply paint protect instantly or a quick detailer first? if yes, which one? the red quick detailer or the ultimate quick detailer?

should i wax it prior to applying paint protect?

please note that they are absolutely no swirl marks at the moment but some light have settled on the paint and some water marks which can be easily removed with a microfibre.

is there a need to wash it first?

please let me know how to proceed.

many thanks for your help.
        You should definitely wash it to remove any dirt that has accumulated on the surface. It will give you a fresh base to start.

You will have to determine if you have to clay or not. Google the baggie test and clay to help you determine that. New cars can have bonded contaminants on them.

Did the dealer apply any wax or sealant to the paint? If not then go ahead and wax or seal it. Something like ultimate wax would be fine. You want to protect the paint. If the dealer did wax it then the way to get it off is with a light polish or cleaner wax.

You can use either detailer as a maintenance product.

Enjoy the new car.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

thanks very much for your tips and advice of how to maintain the car.

yes the car seems to have wax on it as it was repelling water easily.

the car has been washed with meguiars ultimate wash and wax i have used meguiars paint protect afterwards.

should i maintain it with meguiars ultimate detailer or meguiars ultimate fast finish or should i used both?

thanks

Comment

thanks very much for your tips and advice of how to maintain the car.

the car has been washed with meguiars ultimate wash and wax i have used meguiars paint protect afterwards.

should i maintain it with meguiars ultimate detailer or meguiars ultimate fast finish or should i used both?

thanks
            I would stick with ultimate quik detailer or ultimate quik wax as paint protect 365 offers protection of up to 1 year. If you chose to use ultimate fast finish then I would recommend applying it 12-24 hours after paint protect.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

New cars I have purchased bead up (repel) water. It doesn't necessarily mean they were waxed. Dealers are not in the habit of waxing their cars before sale. New clearcoat, before it gets all the road stuff on it, will not break down water tension, hence the beading. I would heed the advice of The Guz.

Comment

I would:

1) Wash with one of Megs wash shampoo (as you did)
                2) Clay it (often times there are contaminants - DO The Baggie test!!
                3) Color X (Cleaner wax) (applied with DA polisher using a wax foam pad) or by hand
                4) Ultimate liquid wax (overkill? Maybe - but just for added protection (as I thinks it gives added durability to the ColorX) as well as gloss

Stand back and enjoy the shine

Comment

i have used paint protect after washing the car.

not it has been a couple of weeks and i need to wash the car again.

i have ultimate wash and wax ready and also a snowfoam available.

should i apply paint protect again after washing the car?

or should i apply ultimate wax and fast finish afterwards?

will maintain with ultimate quik detailer afterwards.

i will give color x a try. i have never used this product before.

Comment

Unless you want to try things different protectants at first, you would be ok to just wash, or wash and then Ult. Quick Wax.

If you do want to try some other things, then wash, ColorX, then Ult. Wax or Fast finish (or both) would be fine. Then Ult. Quick Wax after future regular washes.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                      Unless you want to try things different protectants at first, you would be ok to just wash, or wash and then Ult. Quick Wax.

If you do want to try some other things, then wash, ColorX, then Ult. Wax or Fast finish (or both) would be fine. Then Ult. Quick Wax after future regular washes.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');