• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use on new exterior plastic trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use on new exterior plastic trim?

I bought a new car about four months ago and want to properly treat my "virgin" plastic bumpers etc. to keep them looking new. But I'm not sure what the best product is to use. I have read UQW or D156 is used by some people on exteriors plastics (although not designed for it) as it doesn't stain. However I'm wondering if this actually protects the plastic in the long term. (UV protection) It would certainly be quick and easy, since I would be using UQW every couple weeks anyway. Or do I really need to use something like UB? From what I have read you have to be very careful no to let it dry on the paint as it is a PITA to remove. If I do get some on the paint and it dries what is the best method for removing it? Also how often should I treat the exteriors plastics? My car is in sunny San Diego, CA and sits outside for about 8 hrs a day. THANX!

Re: What to use on new exterior plastic trim?

I would stick with ultimate black (the lotion version) to use on the plastic trim. Deep clean it every now and then with some all purpose cleaner like D101 and then treat with ultimate black. It will help the protectant bond to the plastic better giving it better longevity. In between deep cleanings you can clean it during your wash process and then retreat.

I have never had an issue with removing ultimate black from other surfaces that the applicator may touch. But I have not used it in a long time. Wipe it right away and you will be fine.

The aerosol version is a pain to remove.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanz for your reply! How often should I treat the exteriors plastics? My car is in sunny San Diego, CA and sits outside for about 8 hrs a day.

Comment

Once a month to stay on top of it. It lasts a little longer in California as it does not rain that much.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanx!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');