• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Prep & Care Products Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Prep & Care Products Newbie Questions

I purchased a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT. The car came with the stock aluminum alloy wheels (a magnet was not attracted to wheels).
    The wheel clear coat was flaking/peeling, so I applied multiple coats of aircraft stripper and (after much scraping & wire brushing) was able to remove the clear coat.
    After I did this stripping, I realized that leaving bare metal unprotected might not be a "good" idea , so I ran down to the local auto store & purchased/applied in order: BrandX "Safe for All Wheels" Wheel & tire cleaner, Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish (applied/buffed by hand), BrandX Liquid Wax, and lastly, Brand X Brake Dust repelant spray. After these products, the wheels look OK, but now I want them to look good and have a durable/"long" lasting protection.
    I do not want to reapply some type of "permanent" spray clear coating over the wheels (afraid that will start peeling also!)
    I am new to this, so I don't know about "layering" of wheel products or suitability for my application.

My question is, for bare (no clear coat) aluminum alloy wheels, using a manual application what do you recommend for each of the "5 Steps"
    1) Washing the wheels? (something stronger than Gold class car wash for initial cleaning?)
    2) Clean & Prep wheels -
    a)Removing all the previous stuff (wax, brake dust repelant) I put on the wheels?
    b)Wheel Clay?
    3) Polishing the wheels? (Hot Rims metal polish, Metal Finishing Polish, All Metal polish, other?)
    4) Protecting the wheels? (Ultimate Fast Finish, Ultimate Liquid/Paste Wax, other?)
    5) Maintaining:
    a) Maintenance Washing every other week (I will use my Gold Class car Wash)
    b) Maintenance Cleaning every other week if needed (Hot Rims Aluminum wheel cleaner, Hot Rims Wheel & Tire Cleaner, other?)
    c) Maintenance Appearance if needed (Ultimate Fast Finish, Ultimate Quick detailer, Hot Rims Brake Dust, other?)

Thanks
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');