• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Product for Textured Powdercoated Aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product for Textured Powdercoated Aluminum?

The Extang tri-fold truck bed toneau cover on my truck has an outer aluminum material that is very textured and according to their site is powder coated. It is black. It's also worth noting the edges are smooth aluminum - probably black anodized and the corners are black plastic and there's black rubber at it's hinges/seals...

There is some white residue in the tuxtured grooves from a previous attempt to wax it with some other product. I was thinking of taking a heavy brush to it w/ a cleaner to get out any remaining white residue.

But what can I use to give it a more solid dark color - not leave white residue.

Here's a stock picture of the cover from the manufacturers site though it doesn't show the texture in very good resolution.

Thanks,

Re: Product for Textured Powdercoated Aluminum?

There isn't much you can do with powder coating to change it's appearance. Don't go too crazy cleaning it either. An all purpose cleaner diluted for light cleaning with a nylon brush (I only suggest a brush due to the texture) should take care of the wax residue.

Comment

Re: Product for Textured Powdercoated Aluminum?

I have a lot of wrinkle black powder coated stuff on one of my cars.

You've got a couple options here, treat it as a textured plastic like a bumper (Powder coating is a plastic) and use a trim dressing.

Or use something like Sonax PNS or possible Megs Fast Finish to protect.

I wouldn't use an aggressive brush, but something like an interior brush (Horse hair) to be able to agitate any dirty when cleaning it. Use an APC like Megs D101.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');