• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound Recommendations

Hi there everyone, this is my first thread on this forum so please excuse me if I've placed it in the wrong place.

I've just recently bought myself a blue Infiniti G35, and for a 14 year old car, the paint is great. When I bought it, I decided I wasn't going to neglect it like my old one, and so the detailing bug bit me. Although the paint is in relatively great shape, I had decided to go ahead and use ultimate compound and polish over the whole car so that I could remove swirls, minor scratches and scuffs, as well as the occasional bit of oxidation. I've gotten half of the car done so far (I'm doing this by hand and it takes FOREVER). The result are great, especially after I apply ULW. However, when I got the compound, I was under the impression that it was fairly mild. After using it over half the car, I began reading more and more, and I noticed people saying that it was fairly aggressive.

Now that I've gone over half of the car, the results are awesome, but I'm beginning to worry that I may have perhaps thinned out my clear coat significantly without realizing it. I initially tried using ultimate polish first to see if I could avoid using compound overall, but it still left behind a less than super smooth surface using polish alone, even after claying the entire car.

The main question I'm asking is, by using the compound, is there a good chance that I've significantly thinned out my clear coat over its original thickness when I bought it? I know this depends on a lot of factors, especially including my technique. I used a microfiber applicator, with fairly mild pressure in circular motions, passing over the same area about three times. I love the results that I've gotten, but I'm becoming worried that I may have made my clear coat significantly thinner by doing this. I have someone in the family who owns a body shop, so if I were to eat through my clear coat it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be a bad situation nonetheless.

As soon as I discover a way to post pictures from my phone, I'll put up a picture of my current results!

Thanks,
    Austin

Re: Ultimate Compound Recommendations

To keep the answer simple, no. Keep on going!

Comment

I agree with Roushstage2. No, keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the results!
      Lydia's Mobile Detailing
      Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
      2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Tried this product alot takes elbow grease but works sweet

Comment

Awesome! My results have been awesome so far, it's taken my 14 year old paint and has made it appear new again. I'll keep on going then, as I'm sure you guys know, it takes a very long time to do it by hand, but after I get finished, I know it'll be worth it. The surface is super reflective, and it beads up water even before I put on sealant. Only thing now is to somehow handle all of the tiny chips on the hood. The car is lowered a bit, so the front bumper gets quite a few rock chips.

Comment

That's great! Yes, it takes looong time by hand. Well done for sticking with it - post up some after pics once you're done!

Rock chips - ugh. Not fun. I've heard of good results with Dr. Colorchip but have never used it myself. Might be worth looking into though!
            Lydia's Mobile Detailing
            Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
            2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');