• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car detailing / opti clear-coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car detailing / opti clear-coat

Hoping someone can provide some guidance. I just bought a new 2017 Toyota 86 and would like to put on a ceramic coating (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). From what I've read, the most important part of the process is getting the car to a great level of detail before applying the clear coat. I was thinking of using M205 mirror glaze as the pre clear coat polish. Also, I would like to do this by hand as I have no experience with a buffer. So my question is:
    1. What would be a good product to polish the car with before applying the clear coat?
    2. What should I know about doing a polish by hand? Is there an applicator or technique you can recommend?
    3. This car has matte black racing stripes that almost feel like they're not part of the paint (see attached pictures). Would I need to tape those off when polishing the paint?
    Thanks!

Re: New car detailing / opti clear-coat

Welcome to MOL.

First of all gloss coat is a ceramic coating and not a clear coat. Coatings are more durable and longer lasting than waxes or sealants. Some can confuse a coating as clear coat but in reality it is not.

Let's answer your questions.

1. M205 or ultimate polish would be a good polish to clean the paint. If you need more correction you can use ultimate compound.
    2. You should be aware that it is a lot of work and that you will not get the correction you would with a dual action polisher. Have your advil ready for those shoulders.
    Look at these threads to get an idea.
    Avoiding "cheetah spots" or, "Look what this compound did to my paint!"

Man versus Machine

3. Tape off the edges of the stripes to avoid polish from getting into the seems. It will make more work for you to clean up. By the way you can coat over the stripe with gloss coat.

Going to add more information for you.

I would recommend purchasing optimum paint prep to use after polishing the paint. It will remove the polishing oils left behind by either M205 or ultimate polish. I would recommend at least 2 wipedown's with 2-4 microfibers to ensure all the oils are removed and the paint is ready for the coating.

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: New car detailing / opti clear-coat

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');