• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Professional Detailer vs. retail "home"/"enthusiast" products comparison...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Detailer vs. retail "home"/"enthusiast" products comparison...

Hi there - I have seen including myself asking questions all the time about what is equal to this and this and then compare it to the "bulk" / detailer line products... but often many answers are different - so cant we ask meguars themselves to make a list for us so we can see what to use if we want the same?!

You see - i'm in this possition of being a hobbyist detailer in my free time, and have "offcouse" been buying the "home" products (ultimate, goldclass etc etc) and is super satiesfied with the products (thanks megs for those !) BUT i tend to use so much that eg. just switching a simple thing as my shampoo away from the know ones to eg. hyper wash saves me a lot of money (atleast for me...)...

So I have TRIED to find out substitues for this and that... but somebody from meguiars here not tell me the more official version - I believe people is mostly just guessing!?

(okey i know that all purpose cleaner is all purpose cleaner in the bulk eheheh but other than that no one is really sure!?)...

?

Or since meguiars dont put out a list is it because they dont want people to know - or are the products not equal anyway?

Sorry for my bad English im from denmark

Yours, Bo Bennedsen

Re: Professional Detailer vs. retail "home"/"enthusiast" products comparison...

Bennedsen,

You are asking a very hard question since like you stated there is not a comparison chart of consumer based products vs professional based products.

One thing with professional products like APC, Super Degreaser, Glass Cleaner, and a few others is when you purchase by the gallon you gain a few different benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerken View Post
      Bennedsen,

You are asking a very hard question since like you stated there is not a comparison chart of consumer based products vs professional based products.

One thing with professional products like APC, Super Degreaser, Glass Cleaner, and a few others is when you purchase by the gallon you gain a few different benefits.

Okey but do you have then a "unofficial" "translation" from detailer line to consumer?

Comment

Originally posted by spraycleaner View Post
        Okey but do you have then a "unofficial" "translation" from detailer line to consumer?
        I unfortunately don't have an unofficial translation from detailer line to consumer line as I only use professional products.

Here is a post done my Mike Phillips, as you can see you cannot compare consumer products easily to professional products. There are a ton of post like this on the Meguiar's form, my recommendation is surf arround.

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Super Micro Abrasive Technology = SMAT
        From left to right, the most aggressive to the least aggressive SMAT products
        image: http://www.autogeekonline.net/galler...enessOrder.jpg

From the most to the least aggressive...

M105 Ultra-Cut Compound/M95 Speed Cut Compound = The same in abrading power
        Ultimate Compound
        ScratchX 2.0
        M86 Solo Cut & Polish Cream
        D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream
        SwirlX
        M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Now instead of SCANNING... (like we're all prone to do on discussion forums), read the below very carefully.

The order shown here is relative, to the idea that if all things were equal, if all influencing factors could be controlled and be identical when using these products.

That of course is impossible because some of these products are only recommended for use with a rotary buffer while some of these products are only recommended for use by hand or with a dual action polisher. So if we were to follow the manufactures recommendations then we wouldn't be able to compare all of these products side-by-side because in some examples they cannot be used in an equal manner.

Does that make sense?

This article is just to give you a GENERAL idea for the aggressiveness of these products when relatively compared to one another. The way a product is applied, (by hand or machine and if by machine the type of machine), and the application material used to apply the products, (foam, wool, wool/acrylic blend, cotton, microfiber), are both HUGE factors that will and do affect how aggressive a product is or isn't.

So keep this in mind when considering which product to choose and use for your detailing project.

Also keep in mind this is a very diverse group of products, all of these products except the D151 PRC are products with the dedicated purpose of removing below surface defects like swirls, scratches and other etchings and blemishes.

The D151 is a one-step cleaner/wax that has the ability to remove below surface defects, polish the paint to a high gloss and then leave behind a coating of protection.

Any questions?

image: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lies/smile.gif

Mike Phillips
        Office: 800-869-3011 x206
        Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
        "Find something you like and use it often"

image: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...c/progress.gif

Read more at http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...r3RtDxqA6dy.99

Comment

Hi there again! thanks a lot of great info - so there does not HAVE TO be an equal product to xx-product from the "home" line...

But do you know something to replace just these two products here?

Ultimate Quick Wax - I have been trying to find out - can this be the X-Press Spray Wax ? or atleast very close and can be use in the same way?

Ultimate Quick Detaler - here im struggling - can you help? Anyone? what is the detailer lines "answer" to this product?

I use UQD after washing my car, spray on whipe off - allways... what should or CAN i use instead from the detailer line?

Comment

Hi there again! thanks a lot of great info - so there does not HAVE TO be an equal product to xx-product from the "home" line...

Ultimate Quick Wax - I have been trying to find out - can this be the X-Press Spray Wax ? or atleast very close and can be use in the same way?

Ultimate Quick Detaler - here im struggling - can you help? Anyone? what is the detailer lines "answer" to this product?

I use UQD after washing my car, spray on whipe off - allways... what should or CAN i use instead from the detailer line?
            I would say the closest replacement for both of these would be

D156 Detailer Synthetic X-Press

Comment

Di156 in the detailer line.

?

There is no equivalent anymore. M135 was discontinued. You will have to buy UQD or use one of the other QD's that are sold in gallon form.

You can use D156 as a drying aid or after the paint is dry.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Not trying to start a fight Mike, But M-135 is still listed on Meguiar's home sight.

Is this a case of the 'web' not catching up to reality?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                  Not trying to start a fight Mike, But M-135 is still listed on Meguiar's home sight.

Is this a case of the 'web' not catching up to reality?

Bill
                  Probably. I started this thread sometime ago and Nick chimed in stating it is indeed discontinued. Sad to have seen it go.

Did M135 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Spray Detailer get discontinued?
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                    Probably. I started this thread sometime ago and Nick chimed in stating it is indeed discontinued. Sad to have seen it go.

Did M135 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Spray Detailer get discontinued?
                    Old age raises its' ugly head again (LOL). That or I gotta start takin' notes on what I read.

I DO remember (NOW) that Nick said it was indeed discontinued.

Thanx for the reminder and sorry for any mis-information this may have started.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');