• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys, it's been awhile! Some questions here inside about the Professional Line...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys, it's been awhile! Some questions here inside about the Professional Line...

Hey all! Hopefully some of you have some recollection of my posts and who I am from whenever it was I was posting here. It's been awhile, I know.

It's about to be the official start to car show season for me so I went out to restock on some supplies I'll need to make my car look good. And it's a hard job to do being my car is black. Darn.

Typically, I use off the shelf Meguiar's Ultimate products because I can easily source them from any auto parts store. Today I was pleasantly surprised though to walk into the Autozone local to my office to see some of the Professional line of Meguiar's products on the shelf! So typically I wash my car with Ultimate Wash & Wax, then hit it with Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, and then finish with Ultimate Liquid Wax.

So I've got these now: 1 - Medium Cut Cleaner, 9 - Swirl Remover 2.0, 7 - Show Car Glaze. I take it that I use them in that order. I've got one of those HF DAs and some Buff & Shine brand pads for it (orange, green, and black).
    I also bought a (sorry!) Mother's Speed Clay 2.0 rubber (not) clay-bar things. I still have a Meguiar's clay bar kit on hand in case that turns into a disaster. I think I'll use the Deep Crystal to was the car with though to keep any more wax from coating the car.

Okay. Any advise? Did I buy some good stuff? Wish me much luck!!!!
    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Re: Guys, it's been awhile! Some questions here inside about the Professional Line..

Unless something has changed, I believe M01 is for rotary use only. M09 is a good light cleaner and M07 is still a super good polish.

Comment

Re: Guys, it's been awhile! Some questions here inside about the Professional Line..

You were good with the ultimate trio. The stuff you bought uses the older DAT (diminishing) abrasives.

M7 is fine but it is not really needed. Ultimate Polish has more than enough polishing oils. The effects M7 has is temporary with clear coat and will fill in minor defects.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Welcome back to the party.

Keep in mind that some of the products have been around a long time and new products are usually improved or dialed in for current finishes. Automotive suppliers keep what sells on the shelves. Some businesses like body shops can be slow to change and you'll often see them using older products just because they always have and they're still working, even if the newer ones might work better for them.

Yeah, M01 Medium Cut Cleaner is formulated for rotary use. Using it with a DA means you're on your own to see if it works for you. My guess is you'll find it much less useful than Ultimate Compound.

M09 Swirl Remover 2.0
        , has very light cut. It originally came out back in the days before DA's were popular and is optimized for rotary buffers, but is still very usable by hand and DA. It just won't give you a lot of cut. It's intended for final finishing.

M07 Show Car Glaze is sort of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" product. Been working great forever and continues to.

On the non-clay, clay thingy, my guess is you'll like it, but do a test spot first and examine it closely. Some of the more aggressive non-clay, rubber thingies can leave a faint haze. I would think Mothers probably went ultra conservative and mild on a consumer version and it won't, but it never hurts to check.

pc

Comment

Well darn. I guess I'll see if I can exchange them. LOL
          2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

If you're looking for some upgrades to your current products to something in the professional line, here are my recommendations.

DAMF System compound/polishes are great if you're using the matching pads.
            M100 - Great heavy cutting compound. Works great with a DA and has a nice long working time and cost effective.
            M205 - Still the king in meg's lineup for polish. But very comparable to Ultimate Polish

The Mothers clay alternative will probably work well. As mentioned by someone above, generally clay alternatives leave a bit of marring and need to be followed up with a light polish. They are a good time saver, and have their place. But maintenance claying on a show car isn't one of them IMO. I use the nanoskin version. Essentially if I plan on polishing the car, then I will use it. If I am not polishing, a traditional clay gets used.

Now to talk you out of deep crystal car wash and into something with nicer suds. Hyperwash - Leaves nothing behind, great suds, and economical 400:1 dilution ratio. Shampoo Plus is essentially the pro version of gold class car wash. Have gloss enhancers, but no wax in them. Both are worlds better than deep crystal.

Comment

It's difficult to top the Ultimate line, especially of you don't need a lot of product.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');