• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you clean/detail glossy black painted grilles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you clean/detail glossy black painted grilles?

On my '17 Ford Fusion Sport there are upper and lower grilles that are painted a very shiny black. Of course, being on the front of the car they take all the abuse from rocks, sand, and bugs. So some of it looks a little pock marked, already. Anything that will help make it look better? Also these are very difficult areas to work on due to all the holes and molded in details. I'm betting this is a very common problem as this type of "piano black" is being used a lot these days on cars.

Re: How do you clean/detail glossy black painted grilles?

The grilles are painted? They should just be shiny black plastic.

Comment

Sure looks like black paint to me. In any event, it would be impossible to buff out the pock marks and what looks like a minor case of sand blasting. You think black wax would be worth trying?

Comment

If it is a daily driver, pock marks, etc. are inevitable on front ends. No wax is going to repair marks caused by the tiny stones and whatnot literally being blasted at your front end on the Interstate. Black wax may improve the look, but it is not going to repair it.

Comment

I only ask because my 2017 Focus ST has the same gloss black honeycomb grille and it's just shiny plastic. As for the problem at hand if it is in fact painted (which you'd see white primer under the chips), Blueline nailed it. You'd literally have to cover it up to stop the damage.

Comment

Thanks for all (?) the replies. Meguiars has products/solutions for everything, no? Well here is something for Meguiar's R&D to work on! A needed product.

So I guess there is no miracle product for this? No where near needing a re-paint, and of course the same thing would just happen again anyways.

Cover it up to stop the damage? Yeah, then the radiator, a/c condensor, and intercoolers would get no air. Not an option.

Comment

If they are painted and pitted due to rock chips the only fix is a repaint.

You can touch those areas up with touch up paint.

If you really want to protect that area after a repaint consider paint protection film. Although the honey comb grille would take some effort getting PPFed.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                If they are painted and pitted due to rock chips the only fix is a repaint.

You can touch those areas up with touch up paint.

If you really want to protect that area after a repaint consider paint protection film. Although the honey comb grille would take some effort getting PPFed.
                Like, it would be impossible. Very deeply molded 3-d designs. Basically a big pain in the ***.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');