• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax... Sealent... Gr!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax... Sealent... Gr!!

Alright guys! I need some help, I'm so damn confused with this whole wax or sealent thing. I just have some questions and hopefully someone can help me!

Wax VS Sealent... I don't get it, do they have the same UV protection? Is it just that Wax doesn't last as long?? I'm so confused... could someone just explain to this newbie what they both do and their differences?

secondly, I just did some wetsanding on my car, now the results came our AWESOME but my only issue is I'm curious if I should use something for extra protection. Right now I've got some Wax on there but from what I've read that won't help with UV rays, what should I use then?

Ive got a beautiful 2006 Honda Accord V6 which I plan to give another 5 years of life!!!!!

Thanks for for the help!

Re: Wax... Sealent... Gr!!

You are correct. A sealant will last longer and be more durable than a wax.

I will let Nick address the UV protection aspect. But Meguiar's waxes and sealants offer UV protection.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Wax... Sealent... Gr!!

Aside from pure sealants, like M21 2.0, NXT 2.0, Ultimate Wax, the rest of meguiar's waxes contain some proportion of carnauba, and polymers.

Take M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. It is assumed that this was is a pure carnauba, thus not at all durable. What's often not considered, is that it's blended with polymers, resins, and silicone to make it easier to work with, and add longevity. You have to try things for yourself. People online tend to suffer from group think, and start hurling generalities often without any real first hand experience with the product. M26 is no slouch in protecting paint. No, not the most durable, but it's not like it's going to slide off the car as soon as the light hits it.

This is what I love about Meguiar's though. They make products that not only satisfy the boutique appearance of a luxury carnauba wax, they deliver it in a practical manner at a fair price.

For you, you can split the difference with M20 Polymer Sealant, which is mostly polymer based, but does contain a measure of natural waxes.

For our personal vehicles, I lay a base of M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0, which is pretty much all I use anymore. By the next wash a couple days later I'll apply a coat of M26 Hi- Tech Yellow Wax paste, by hand, and I'm done. The rest is maintenance. Whenever I get the desire, I'll wax again. No, I don't think the wax layers. I brevet the solvents break up the old wax, combines with the new, and resets on top the previously applied sealant.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');